Big Bad Ugly Bug Contest

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Okay, It has been a slow, annoying, & frustrating year. Nothing has gone right for many of us but mother nature has marched on.

i thought we could have fun by posting some of the crazy bugs, snakes, reptiles, spiders, etc. that we encounter while in the field. No mammals (bears, cats, coyotes, etc.) just those things that create the creepy crawlers or fright when you find them. I have had in interesting year uncovering 2 hornets nests and having been stung many times.

We may have to regulate you southern boys between Louisiana and Florida on the coast cause you guys have professional level scary stuff! :emoji_astonished:

I'll start off ... below is a horse fly from our place ... I smacked him once and it only stunned him. That is a quarter next to him for size reference. That allowed me to put him in a jar for his own good. :emoji_grin:

Well start posting what you find out there and let's have some fun ...

0912201014.jpg

A couple years ago I was walking the edge of one of my plots and I saw a bumble bee but it looked different, upon further investigation he was dinner for a Praying Mantis.

l60cARy.jpg

WofqoZS.jpg

Not exactly ugly
1edd63c965f28fd0a231caf41546f009.jpg

Saw this on the side of the building at work one morning earlier this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cecropia moth caterpillar.

Not exactly ugly
1edd63c965f28fd0a231caf41546f009.jpg

Saw this on the side of the building at work one morning earlier this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cecropia moth.

Love me some boiled crayfish. When I was young my dad would take us on fishing trips in northern wis. There was one place in particular we went to several times. After dark we would go down to the boat landing with flashlights and catch hundreds of crayfish to boil up.

View attachment 31679Had this one in the garden. Actually saw him catch a fly and wrap it up like a mummy. Had to pick peppers around him.

When I was a little kid we couldn’t find a cat so I was looking around the barnyard for it... I went into a grown up pigpen with tall weeds. At one point my hand accidentally grabbed something, I looked in my palm and I was holding a huge yellow and black spider. I ran screaming to the house... 35-40 years later I’m still struggling with a mix of respect and fear of spiders. Late summer scouting Ohio field edges are full of these too.

Guessing most everyone recognizes the "click beetle"... if anyone doesn't they have no idea how entertaining they can be to little kids. Fond memories of catching them in my childhood days and watching / listening to them click!

Guessing most everyone recognizes the "click beetle"... if anyone doesn't they have no idea how entertaining they can be to little kids. Fond memories of catching them in my childhood days and watching / listening to them click!
I said the same thing immediately, Brought me right back.

We may have to regulate you southern boys between Louisiana and Florida on the coast cause you guys have professional level scary stuff! :emoji_astonished:

Representing Florida, captured this photo this past week when I found an assassin bug feeding on a "bird poop mimic" giant swallowtail caterpillar.

DSCN2023(3).jpg