Big Aus is on the board.

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
My son Austin harvested his first deer yesterday afternoon. I'm still very new to the forum but if you've seen any of my posts you know that we have both new land and new hunters in our family. Austin has been the one most interested in the outdoors. He's a college athlete whose career is winding down. He'll graduate this year with a degree in accounting. His life is growing from one as a student athlete to responsible adult. Fortunately my wife and I have been blessed with responsible children. Austin began bowhunting in a limited capacity last year and this year but the schedule of a student athlete is pretty intense so he doesn't get much free time. He loves to fish and spends several evenings a week in the late spring and summer fishing but getting out in the woods to hunt has been limited. I think he's been able to get maybe five days in the woods with his bow in the last two years but he and TJ both worked hard on the property this summer. Many of our talks on those days were centered around being a good steward of the land. It was great to see him be successful.

Last edited:
Tj, Austin and I went out for our first opening day of firearms Season. It was the first hunt where we could all go. Tj was probably only limited to the one day as his work commitments will likely keep him from going out again. We're hoping we can squeeze in one more hunt for him at some point. At 4:00 yesterday afternoon I was able to harvest a small buck on our property. My second of the year. Being a small piece of land I knew it was obvious to the boys that I had shot. I was in the process of texting them when I heard Austin shoot. I texted him to call me and we'd whisper the details of his shot. He called and his voice was really shaking. He'd made a sixty yard shot on what he thought was a doe but turned out to be a button buck. We both were shooting 7 mm Remington magnums loaded with 150 grain Nosler partitions at 2900 fps. Both deer dropped on the spot. I'm a heart lung guy and took a quartering away shot on my buck. Austin had been reading about the high shoulder shot and had decided that's what he'd try. His shot shattered the shoulder and broke the spine. Effective to say the least - but lots of damage.

Last edited:
It took me a half hour to climb out of my tree and make my way to him. In the mean time he sent me another text. He said "I know I'm not cold but I can't stop my hands from shaking". When I got to him he was still laughing as he showed me his shaking hands. I shook his hand and he simply said - "Oh my gosh, I'm hooked for life now".

My little buck image.jpeg

And for you ballistics guys - a rare recovered Nosler partition from my deer. image.jpeg

Hopefully TJ's (sometimes Tmmy) schedule works out and we can get him out sometime this week or maybe during the antlerless portion and give him another opportunity too.

Nice! That's what it's all about

Nice story.

That wasn't a bullistic tip (I think) or it wouldn't look like that.

No sir, not a ballistic tip, although I've always had good performance from them too. This was just an old fashioned Nosler Partition. I love to tinker with loads and find that some guns just shoot different bullet and load combinations differently. Some love ballistic tips, some the partition, and everything I own seems to shoot a Hornady interlock well. Can't ever seem to get a scirocco to shoot in anything. Austin and my 7mm's and my .243 though seem to shoot everything well. No rhyme or reason to that though. On the other hand I've got a Ruger in 338 federal that's finicky with everything. I seem to be partial to Nosler with no real reasonable explanation. I just like them. We're killing whitetails, they're just not that tough that it matters much on the bullet. I'm just a bullet nerd. Before I had habitat stuff to dream about I tinkered with my guns and ammo - boy is that changing now. So much to learn....

I knew when you posted how you came up with your user name, you were off to a good start. I was kind of jealous I hadn't thought of it. I can't imagine how many times I've said to myself "some day I'll"....

Great story with your boys, and congrats on hooking them for life.

Well done.

-John

Thanks John! I'm kind of old fashioned but I love my kids so much and I want them to experience life at it's fullest. It's been a great few months in the start of this journey.

Thanks again!

Congrats to all Someday! Nice work!