All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best tasting heirloom apple

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
What do you think is the best tasting heirloom apple?

Wealthy is hard to beat and hardy thru zone 3 , for cooking Bonnie Best is my favorite

Mine is Arkansas Black which in my opinion also tastes much like Black Oxford.

I like the taste of a fresh-picked Northern Spy. I had a yellowish apple that was smaller and had lots of red striping years ago. When I bit into it, ( juicy ) it tasted like tangy cider. I WISH I knew what kind of apple that was. It was growing along a fence on a farm. THAT was a tasty apple, whatever it was. Anyone have a clue ??

I'm not sure I could name an heirloom.

Lol, I'm with you SD!

I hear you, Stu. I have no idea what those apples were, but the taste made a huge impression on me from 40+ years ago. I hadn't even heard of grafting back then - too young. But I sure wish I could locate that tree NOW !!!

I have 20 vintage varieties producing (50 more that have yet to produce), and I cannot pick just one. Many are great, yet different. One, Michelin, is bitter and only good for blending in cider.

Dolgo is the only one that I have ever tried and I like it.

From what some of you guys describe, I can't wait until our Chestnut crabs bear fruit at camp. Might have a few Dolgos for the first time this year.

Lots of good apples mentioned in this thread. If you want a good early apple, you might think about Bevan's Favorite. Mine is just starting to bear and I like the taste really well for an early apple. No signs of fireblight or CAR yet.

I had a giant of an apple along a driveway that I was convinced was a wolf river, big, tart, tasty.. fav of all time, I can still get to it to take cuttings, under the cover of darkness, but then it would be tough to tell for sure which tree it was........

Don't know if it's an heirloom or not, but Ida Red right off the tree is mighty tasty to me. Does anyone know of an apple that tastes like cider when it's just starting to turn & start fermenting?? I'd plant THAT apple, whatever it is !!