best log roller or log jack (logOx)?

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
My wife and I live on 120acres. In the past year we have lived here multiple trees have fallen down due to differing reasons (weather, snow, wind...etc). I have ruined a few chainsaw chains due to hitting the ground. After researching it would seam a log roller or log jack would be a nice tool for me to use. I have seen many....some with bad reviews others with great reviews, some as cheap as $40 dollars and others near 200$. What should I be looking at? I found something called a logOx which seams pretty cool as it has multiple uses. Thoughts on this one specifically as well? Thanks!

That logOx is pretty sweet tool!!! I have a timber jack, but I may be upgrading to this.

That logOx is pretty sweet tool!!! I have a timber jack, but I may be upgrading to this.
Yeah that is what I was thinking. The only thing I do not like is even with the extension, it is still very short compared to other log rollers so I’m afraid it will not pride good leverage

That LogOx looks good. The Woodchuck Timberjack 4waneringeye posted looks better. The weakest link in these log jacks or log rollers (I've always called them peaveys) is the T-shaped foot or brace on the bottom of the tool. If that part is not made well it can bend or fold if the log is particularly big and heavy, or if the log is not completely detached or cut away from the stump or the crown. If the log doesn't roll well while the user is torquing on the handle, that foot really takes a lot of stress. Sometimes the housing on the tool itself that the T-shaped foot fits into can blow out if it's a poor quality tool. Don't ask me how I know all of this....:emoji_dizzy_face:

I would not buy a $40 peavey or log roller myself. I'd get the beefiest and most well made one I could find. I do a ton of logging on my land and I went through a few of these many years ago. I still have one but rarely use it. After delimbing the tree I now just section into smaller lengths that I can roll with my own strength. I then buck it up by cutting through two-thirds of the trunk horizontally every 15" or 16" or so, roll the log over 180 degrees, and then finish each cut through from the top. My chain and bar never hit soil.

The fellas over on the Forestry Forum seem to like the Logrite tools, course they are also a forum sponsor if that makes a difference.

Dixie Industries makes some good looking stuff. Gave one as a present some time ago

My personal one is an old heavy duty cant hook the old man had one of his farmer/woodworker friends make a very stout white oak handle for many years ago

Cant hook whatever very handy to have.

I love my Stihl 48 inch Cant hook with the accompanying log stand. Very well built. They’re supposed to be made by Logrite. For my purposes the 48 inch is perfect. The 60 inch would be better if I was cutting up really big trees but I don’t tackle big stuff. The 48inch is a great size to handle and provides more than enough leverage. I’d think a 36 inch would be too short. Here’s a pic including logs the size I work with.
0D7459C8-375A-4115-8854-D8CEC92125A1.jpeg

I love my Stihl 48 inch Cant hook with the accompanying log stand. Very well built. They’re supposed to be made by Logrite. For my purposes the 48 inch is perfect. The 60 inch would be better if I was cutting up really big trees but I don’t tackle big stuff. The 48inch is a great size to handle and provides more than enough leverage. I’d think a 36 inch would be too short. Here’s a pic including logs the size I work with.
View attachment 18952
Hmm so 60inch for me as most the trees I have to clean up are twice that diameter

Yeah that is what I was thinking. The only thing I do not like is even with the extension, it is still very short compared to other log rollers so I’m afraid it will not pride good leverage
The thing I like about it is the log carrier. That would make loading bigger logs on the splitter a lot easier.