Best clover for longevity

DrewMc

5 year old buck +
I know there are lots of different clover types out there. What is the best for longevity? Hoping to get 3 years out of the plot. Is it worth it to buy the Whitetail Institute brand specifically for deer?

Not sure where you are but you should get 3 years out of any non annual clover with just periodic mowing and no herbicide.

Mountains of SW PA

Also, if planting with winter rye in the fall, does it make more sense to fertilize around planting or wait til spring?

Fall, P&K take a long time to break down. Winter rye will appreciate the N but don't use to much. If there is an excess of N in the spring the clover won't nodulate nearly as much. Do yourself a favor and mix in a small amount of chicory. The deer love the stuff and it will thrive off of the N the clover puts out.

Fall, P&K take a long time to break down. Winter rye will appreciate the N but don't use to much. If there is an excess of N in the spring the clover won't nodulate nearly as much. Do yourself a favor and mix in a small amount of chicory. The deer love the stuff and it will thrive off of the N the clover puts out.
If it is poorly drained bottom land would you still include chicory? Thanks

If it is poorly drained bottom land would you still include chicory? Thanks
Its cheep enough. Just throw some in and find out.

Also, if planting with winter rye in the fall, does it make more sense to fertilize around planting or wait til spring?

I typically fertilize everything at planting time. Farmers around here always fertilze their alfalfa in the fall so that is when I usually fertilize my clovers as well.