Bench grafting videos

Mattyq2402

5 year old buck +
Anyone have a go to video for bench grafting? I'll have 20 dolgo rstock for apple and 15 old 97 for pear. After reading my previous thread it looks like some have into failure, looking for a good how to video to up my odds.

Also anyone ever graft Asian pear onto old 97 rootstock.l? I was told not to do it but saw on Cummins that it was recommended.

Also is this the reccomended graft approach for scion to rootstock?

Dont have a video, but search for cleft graft on YouTube. Should be a video or two..... or a 100 LOL! Easiest graft style to use when "Benchgrafting". No reason to bother with any other style IMO. They arent as pretty as some, but they are strong and after a year or two you wont be able to tell which type of graft you used anyhow. Line up the cambium layers and find something to bind the graft together with, there are a number of different options, grafting rubber bands, reversed electrical tape, teflon plumbers tape, etc... Cinch the graft cuts down tight so there is no gaps and then seal the scion and graft union with melted wax. Set them aside for a couple of weeks in a 50-60 degree room to start forming callus tissue and then plant out after the threat of a hard frost is gone.

What he said.

Plus pay attention for how not to cut yourself while doing the cleft graft. A pair of cut resistant gloves or a guard you insert the wood through that protects your hand from the knife. You can get away without either. Until you make a mistake. The guard you could make.

I was at a grafting workshop and a guy 70+ years old was teaching me how to do it. He said he worked in the forestry dept for the state and had grafted thousands of trees. He was stressing safety with the knife when it slipped and sunk right into his palm.

I’m not terribly good at the hand cutting for bench grafting so I just picked up a tool to make it quicker.

This isn’t terribly informative but these guys are fun to watch.

Dont have a video, but search for cleft graft on YouTube. Should be a video or two..... or a 100 LOL! Easiest graft style to use when "Benchgrafting". No reason to bother with any other style IMO. They arent as pretty as some, but they are strong and after a year or two you wont be able to tell which type of graft you used anyhow. Line up the cambium layers and find something to bind the graft together with, there are a number of different options, grafting rubber bands, reversed electrical tape, teflon plumbers tape, etc... Cinch the graft cuts down tight so there is no gaps and then seal the scion and graft union with melted wax. Set them aside for a couple of weeks in a 50-60 degree room to start forming callus tissue and then plant out after the threat of a hard frost is gone.
^^^ This I’m sure Chris grafts more in a year than most of us will graft in a lifetime.

Does anyone have a link to a grafting kit they've bought and like?

Everybody does it a little different. Really all you need is a decent grafting knife and a way to hold the graft together and then seal it. I have never seen a “kit” but I am sure they exist. This is what I use

I use the tape to hold the graft together and seal the ends of the scion with the wax. Works for me and I am sure you will get several other methods guys use here. I will tell you it is addicting, lol!

Everybody does it a little different. Really all you need is a decent grafting knife and a way to hold the graft together and then seal it. I have never seen a “kit” but I am sure they exist. This is what I use

Now I have spring fever... off to Amazon!

I got to try this again. I didn't have a single one take the only prior time I tried it.

I’m no expert at grafting but I feel like the ones I get wrapped tightly take at a higher percentage. Could all be in head however

I’m no expert at grafting but I feel like the ones I get wrapped tightly take at a higher percentage. Could all be in head however

I agree…I feel like tight wrapping (real tight with electrical tape) helps my “not so precise” cuts mesh together and thereby making a more successful graft Union.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to grafting, frankly I suck at it so far. But that does not deter me from continuing to join rootstock to scion in the hopes of getting better. I keep coming back to it because I take so much pride in my successes. My successful grafts are now living testaments to my modest skills, while my failures are long forgotten. So… I re-watch these vids, read your comments and suggestions here, and get my supplies ready for this year’s victims!

When it comes to grafting, frankly I suck at it so far. But that does not deter me from continuing to join rootstock to scion in the hopes of getting better. I keep coming back to it because I take so much pride in my successes. My successful grafts are now living testaments to my modest skills, while my failures are long forgotten. So… I re-watch these vids, read your comments and suggestions here, and get my supplies ready for this year’s victims!
Your preaching to the choir here brother