Bedding in pinelands

Scott

Yearling... With promise
I have a long term opportunity to hunt some ground in the new jersey pinelands and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on creating bedding and cover. The property is a mix of mostly oaks and a few evergreen type trees and feels pretty wide open. These areas are highly regulated and you cant just go hinge cut a few acres to create cover even though its yournown ground. My thought was to use some form of shrubs and bushes to start creating some thicker areas but i have never really hunted pure woods with no edge and was looking for some general guides or some tricks people might know of.

How many acres are you working with?

You state that that NJ is highly regulated and you can’t hinge cut a few acres. I imagine your are able to select cut to open up the canopy?

I just looked at the NJ seedling program. Looks like they have a couple options that will help thicken your area plus add some attraction. Arrowood bayberry cedar.... getting from the state is a real affordable way to start.

How many acres are you working with?

You state that that NJ is highly regulated and you can’t hinge cut a few acres. I imagine your are able to select cut to open up the canopy?

I just looked at the NJ seedling program. Looks like they have a couple options that will help thicken your area plus add some attraction. Arrowood bayberry cedar.... getting from the state is a real affordable way to start.

Property is only 30 acres. The rules are written by town and there are overriding regulations for areas in the pineland preservation areas. The town itself says that you need to have a permit to take a single tree down except for disease or persknal firewood. So i can take some down.

I had no idea about that seedling program. Thats amazing. Bayberry was the main thing coming to mind before. Arrowwood looks like a great plant too.

Thank you very much for the push. The internet is amazing.

Property is only 30 acres. The rules are written by town and there are overriding regulations for areas in the pineland preservation areas. The town itself says that you need to have a permit to take a single tree down except for disease or persknal firewood. So i can take some down.

I had no idea about that seedling program. Thats amazing. Bayberry was the main thing coming to mind before. Arrowwood looks like a great plant too.

Thank you very much for the push. The internet is amazing.
I live in VA but I bought mine from MD this year. I have 125 bushes coming in March.

Pretty easy to search for most of the states. Most are about the same price but offer different selections.

Happy to help.

Can you burn? I’m assuming these are shortleaf pines- they need fire. Burning on a rotation, combined with sowing down the firebreaks to clover, should get you some pretty decent food and cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk