Bear problems...apple trees

My land is in a county the WIDNR thinks bear and wolves are extinct and deer are in an over abundance. Unfortunately they are wrong on both accounts. There is a 7 year wait to get a bear license, in order to get the points you need. I had talked to local bear hunters and they basically told me that they have so much prime land to hunt, people practically pay them to take a bear off their land. And they said they will bait, and bring it many more bear, and just take the largest bear. Which most of the time aren’t your problem bear. It’s the young males.
I must’ve gotten lucky this year, I’m in the same area as you, got permission to hunt a nice property of farmland & got a tag in 5 years. However, from the trail cam pictures I saw, the beautiful sow I shot isn’t going to make a huge dent in the population... I am fortunate that where I am planting my fruit trees bears have not been a problem yet.

What about a low electric fence that deer can jump over but bears can't?

I am planning on putting one up this next summer to try. But I assume it will just be another project I will need to babysit, and repair to occupy my time.

I don’t have a secret weapon but I will share my technique (results pending). Our property has quite a few (100 maybe) apples along the main creek. I’ve planted 50+ fruit trees in areas I want to hunt over or feed the deer. I’m hoping the volume will overwhelm them. If a tree or two is sacrificed, we win. I have no idea if this plan will be successful but I’ll continue to update my property tour thread. I’ve already had a few apples on the 2017 planted trees.

Another thing I’ve done is order full size trees vs. semi dwarf when available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had what I assume was a bear shred the top of one of my plum trees this year. Not sure why, if was spring and the plums were pea size. I don't have bear year round but almost every spring I get a pass through. This year the one bear shredded my plum tree, broke off a 10 ft. poplar for no reason, and killed a fawn. All in the span of a week, then was gone.

My family has a camp in northern PA. There are quite a few bear and we have quite a few apple and chestnut trees and I don't ever recall a bear messing with any of them.

Our camp is in the middle of "bear central" here in Pa. A few observations, as we've seen and watched many.
The younger bears and cubs are, for the most part, the climbers. Big older bears aren't so inclined to climb trees - especially younger trees that, once they lean on them, they determine that they aren't safe to climb. Big, older, woody trees - they WILL climb, but the trees are woody enough to take some damage and still survive. We have a couple such older, woody trees at camp. I watched some younger (?), smaller bears of 75 to 150 lbs. or so get too greedy and go out too far on limbs for more apples. They fell from 20 to 35 ft. to the ground and hit with a noise that you had to hear to believe. They ran away from the trees at FULL speed wailing all the way. I doubt they ever tried that again!!!

As for apples being on the trees .............. I hate to burst everyone's bubbles, but bears will reach up and put their paws on any branch they can reach ............. just to stretch, or just to explore. No apples on the trees in spring!! Again, it seems it's mainly the younger bears - probably just exploring every nook & cranny, every new or challenging thing. We've seldom seen older bears reach up and "toy" with tree limbs. For those reasons, I try to prune off the lower limbs so that the lowest limbs are at 6 ft. - or higher - above ground. We also stake concrete remesh cages around all our trees. It's no 100% guarantee, but if they discourage AT ALL - it's a win. We're lucky to have MILES of oak trees, so the acorns take the top spot of their menu once they start falling. That helps. We also planted 75+ "newer" apple & crab trees in addition to the older ones we already had, so hopefully we "outplant" them.

On my place in WI the bears just like to destroy things that are different. That can be apple trees, mock scrape trees, planted pine trees, archery targets, tree stands, etc. It's not always for the food either although they do a number when the fruit is dropping. It takes 8+ years to draw a tag on my land, but with the zone changes this year it should reduce. My land is in the area with the most bear damage in the state and the numbers are really high. You can drive around during the summer and see bears randomly feeding in fields every night of the week.

The bears don't kill the apple trees, but their damage really stunts them. Luckily they don't seem to get them all, but it takes way, way longer to produce fruit because of that damage. My plan is to keep planting a dozen apple trees a year in an attempt to overwhelm the bears. I have over 100 that are up to 13 years old and hopefully 13 years from now I'll be winning. I know it is possible because I see a few old giant apple trees in the area that survived despite crazy amounts of bear damage. My fingers are crossed that he bear zone changes combined with my annual apple tree plantings will win in the long run.

On my new land, I have a trail camera near some newly planted apple trees. To my surprise it has had as many bears as deer in the last few weeks, probably 5-6 different bears visiting multiple times so far..

I planted seven apple trees a few weeks ago. Planted and caged them on the same day but only had a couple wooden stakes for the time being. I came back the next weekend to water and put in fence post. The cages was smashed on most trees, a couple cages were tipped over. One tree was pushed over and the main leader was busted off another. All the trees will hopefully be fine, they are still sprouting leaves and growing...but man I was pissed!

Reading this thread has not given me much hope for my little orchard!

On my new land, I have a trail camera near some newly planted apple trees. To my surprise it has had as many bears as deer in the last few weeks, probably 5-6 different bears visiting multiple times so far..

I planted seven apple trees a few weeks ago. Planted and caged them on the same day but only had a couple wooden stakes for the time being. I came back the next weekend to water and put in fence post. The cages was smashed on most trees, a couple cages were tipped over. One tree was pushed over and the main leader was busted off another. All the trees will hopefully be fine, they are still sprouting leaves and growing...but man I was pissed!

Remember to apply for a bear preference point!

I purchased my WI bear license today, so hopefully this fall I'll kill one of the apple tree damaging bears.

Remember to apply for a bear preference point!

I purchased my WI bear license today, so hopefully this fall I'll kill one of the apple tree damaging bears.
I got a point last fall. The good news is it usually only takes 2-3 years to draw a tag around me..

Good Luck, hope you get one of those SOB's!

I got a point last fall. The good news is it usually only takes 2-3 years to draw a tag around me..

Good Luck, hope you get one of those SOB's!
You can apply for the 2022 points now if you are interested. I bought next year's preference points today when I purchased my 2021 bear license. In my area of Rusk County it went from taking 8 years to draw a tag down to 2-3, so we will finally be able to thin them out. Fewer bears should equal more surviving fawns, so it is a win/win for me!

So, a dumb question, if you see a bear destroying an apple tree, can you shoot it?

If you can prove enough ag damage then you can get a kill tag, but before you get the kill tag the DNR has to come trap the bears off your land and you have to allow public bear hunting on your land all year. There really isn't a legal way to deal with bear damage in Wisconsin in the areas that take many years to draw a tag.

You might need some bear spray.
And some lead spray.

I recommend the .22 brand, it is more of a deterrent then a lethal means though.

.356, .357 WHATEVER IT TAKES. LOL