Bass Pro buys Cabelas

Turkey Creek

5 year old buck +
Sounds like it is a done deal this morning Bass Pro will be buying Cabela's. Current report is that BP will still maintain the Cabela's brand. I guess time will tell what this really means for the hunters and fishermen, but I would guess not a whole lot. Cabelas shot themselves in the foot when they built all the new stores, became a publicly traded company and decided their products were worth more than everyone else's.

Yep back to private ownership. Never did understand the appeal of their fancy new stores for more than one visit. After that you still checked for deals on the web. Actually I'm more concerned about how Fleet Farm looks five yrs down the road after their recent sale compared to this. FF prices are not the deal already from what they used to be (at least in fishn stuff). Found some stuff cheaper at Gander Mountain which never used to be true. Actually down south I like the Acadamy Sports and Outdoors places. Mostly in SE U.S. though

Reactions: kl9
Good call on FF... I'm seeing the same thing.

I guess I should have posed the question to the masses as well. How many people shop at either retailer? Personally I shop around looking for the best price regardless and more times than not it is somebody other than both of BP and Cabelas. Though BP does tend to have a better selection I think at the lower price point.

Heard that the offer was $4.5 Billion plus BP would take over the 1 Billion that Cabelas currently has in debt! Didnt realize how far the Cabelas ship had sunk.

Only thing I would like to see come from the buyout is that my Cabelas visa card which I use for all business expenses can be used at either retailer with the same benefits in terms of points redeemed.

I think it will hurt the sportsman. Less compition means higher prices. Some of the financial analysts said this summer that the stores were out pacing catalog sales which were benefiting Cabelas more.

When I was travelling a lot for my previous job I would cash in airline and hotel points for bass pro or cabelas gift cards and buy stuff. Think I bought my last scope from Bass Pro....all off their websites, haven't been in a store in a while.

I guess I should have posed the question to the masses as well. How many people shop at either retailer? Personally I shop around looking for the best price regardless and more times than not it is somebody other than both of BP and Cabelas. Though BP does tend to have a better selection I think at the lower price point.

Heard that the offer was $4.5 Billion plus BP would take over the 1 Billion that Cabelas currently has in debt! Didnt realize how far the Cabelas ship had sunk.

Only thing I would like to see come from the buyout is that my Cabelas visa card which I use for all business expenses can be used at either retailer with the same benefits in terms of points redeemed.
Yes, points & credit cards R interchangeable per TV investment update.

Read my mind.. I use the Cabelas visa for my business exspenses as well. I have been on the fence about cutting the card and using something else for awhile now. If I can use at both retailers I may Continue to use. Sad thing is you have to buy items on sale to get a fair price

Read my mind.. I use the Cabelas visa for my business exspenses as well. I have been on the fence about cutting the card and using something else for awhile now. If I can use at both retailers I may Continue to use. Sad thing is you have to buy items on sale to get a fair price
Exactly I never buy anything at "regular" price unless it is a got to have right now item.

I know this is completely off topic but since I started this thread! Along this same line of thinking is Menards almost continual 11% off sales. Basically what Menards is telling you is that their prices are over inflated by 11%, so just wait a week and you can pay closer to what something is really worth!:D

I've had a Cabela's card for quite a few years now, and like many, got it for the points. I really don't care to shop at Cabela's anymore and we have four of them in Wisconsin. Their prices aren't any better than anyone else's and for some reason the stores never have what I want in stock. I've thought many times to go to a card that gives me cash back instead of using the Cabela's card.

I buy quite a bit of my hunting stuff thru a small mom and pop archery shop.

Exactly I never buy anything at "regular" price unless it is a got to have right now item.

I know this is completely off topic but since I started this thread! Along this same line of thinking is Menards almost continual 11% off sales. Basically what Menards is telling you is that their prices are over inflated by 11%, so just wait a week and you can pay closer to what something is really worth!:D
And if you can't wait, buy it and save the receipt. Then buy it again at 11% and return it with the original full price receipt ;).

Isn't the menards 11% rebate just a mechandise check? You aren't really saving 11%. You still have to spend it at menards, if I'm reading the fine print right.
That's true. But we have no problem finding things in the store to spend it on that we need so it's not like we are "searching" the store for items to purchase with the rebate checks.

Agreed, it's just not a true savings in my mind. It's not money that can stay in my pocket.
Ah, money in the pocket just burns a hole anyways ;):D

Do guys have Running? I think they are from Minnesota. They just opened a store here. It is a combination of bass pro and tractor supply. They are beating everyone on price right now and have a generous add matching of the competition.

Really I'm not expecting that combining them will result in higher overall pricing due to less competition. I think we have more competition now than 20 yrs ago and that is why Cabelas got into the bad business results they have. Within 35 mins drive from me are brick and mortar stores for:
- Gander Mountain
- Fleet Farm
- Dick's Sporting Goods
- Scheel's
- Cabelas
- Tractor Supply
and several decent local sporting goods/gun/bait shop places that only have the one location.

No Running one though, or I think Meijers is big over in places like Michigan.

Oh forgot we had a Sportsman's Warehouse too but that went bust around here. Too bad, they had good prices on crankbaits...

Last edited:
Sounds like it is a done deal this morning Bass Pro will be buying Cabela's. Current report is that BP will still maintain the Cabela's brand. I guess time will tell what this really means for the hunters and fishermen, but I would guess not a whole lot. Cabelas shot themselves in the foot when they built all the new stores, became a publicly traded company and decided their products were worth more than everyone else's.

Oh this is all soooooo true. I remember when putting the name "Cabelas" on a product meant a superior, 100 percent guaranteed, and reliable product. I also remember the rotary dial phone which too is no longer to be found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just sincerely hope that this buyout doesn't "cheapen" the Cabela's higher end "store branded" products. Many of them are still very good products and provide good value for the dollar. If Bass Pro wants to make "their" own brand look to be the "better buy", I have a fear they will try shortcutting the quality of the Cabela's brand to push their own.

I just sincerely hope that this buyout doesn't "cheapen" the Cabela's higher end "store branded" products. Many of them are still very good products and provide good value for the dollar. If Bass Pro wants to make "their" own brand look to be the "better buy", I have a fear they will try shortcutting the quality of the Cabela's brand to push their own.

Cabelas was already doing enough of this on their own probably contributing to their problems, at least in the area of bird hunting boots. Darn soles kept peeling off after spending $$ to get all leather tops. Almost glad when sides split out too so could junk em but not even 5 yrs old.

I have a Cabela's 1/2 hr. from me. The local paper had an article that basically said that BP is more of a fishing store, whereas Cabela's focuses more on hunting and the hunting crowd. I don't know if that will be the BP strategy going forward or not.

Generally when mergers and acquisitions happen - anywhere - the result is location closings, lay-offs, sales to bring in quick cash to start paying off debt, followed by rising prices. I've seen it over the years in various types of businesses.

I agree with an earlier poster - once you've been to a Cabela's or BP, the " WOW " factor fades away. I buy my archery equipment / sundries from a local Mom & Pop archery shop.

I personally have not been all that impressed with the products that carry the Cabelas name on the label, especially when you look at the price they associate with the labeling. I wonder if BP will stand behind the Cabelas products that carry a lifetime warranty? Heck Cabelas through a fit when I made them honor a lifetime warranty on products they sold me themselves.