Barn lime

Rubee

5 year old buck +
Is there a difference between ag lime and barn lime? Tractor Supply sells both. Barn lime is a dollar cheaper per 50 pound bag. Which one is best for food plots?
thanks

Is there a difference between ag lime and barn lime? Tractor Supply sells both. Barn lime is a dollar cheaper per 50 pound bag. Which one is best for food plots?
thanks
Lime is lime ,, especially when purchased by the bag ,, barn lime is ground finer and will maybe plant available faster , some limes differ on neutralizing ability but by the bag it would never matter , barn lime would probably be harder to spread as well

^^^^ what he said ...

When I don’t get aglime in a spreader I get barnlime. $1 cheaper per 50# is real savings.

Lowe's was 3.98 for a 50lb bag of ag line. Tractor supply was 5.29 in NY. Both pulverized. I always buy a bag or two of pelletized lime If I need to mix seed and spread. Trying to get away from that though. Haven't settled on how I am going to handle large seed / fertilizer in my food plot seeder. May need to mix lime to get fertilizer or large seed rates down lower. May go 1 hopper for large seed and fert together.

Somewhat concerned about the price of AG chemicals. Tractor Supply has 1 gal of 41% Gly for $100. Might of been 50% gly, but either case its alot...... Thinking of trying butyrac 200. So far use gly, 2,4D, and clethodim.

HOw are you guys spreading ag lime? I just get it from the coop and use their buggy. It's not like spreading pelletized product.

I have used a shovel and just toss it, and I also have a small push drop spreader that works as long as it is good and dry.

Many years ago.....my wife and I spread a pallet of barn lime by hand. What a friggin mess. After that ordeal.....she told me to buy a lime spreader.....'cause this is the last lime we are spreading by hand.

I bought a 12" EZ Flow drop spreader....and cut it down to six feet wide. I've now spread over 33 tons of ag-lime with that spreader. Easy / peasy.

36" Gandy spreader. Pretty much for lime only. Have done clover only plots by mixing fertilizer with it. Broadcast spreader makes a real mess. It's good to have both kinds. Drop spreader really cant do larger seeds, or put stuff on the ground without damaging tall vegetation.

I dont mess with lime without a dust mask anymore. Been peeking at something I can put pelletized lime or fertilizer in I can mix with seed. Like a cement roller. Or a spin off lid on a 5 gallon bucket.

Part of the reason I'm making a plot seeder is all the dust. On me, on my lungs, on my ATV with the 12v spreader......

Many years ago.....my wife and I spread a pallet of barn lime by hand. What a friggin mess. After that ordeal.....she told me to buy a lime spreader.....'cause this is the last lime we are spreading by hand.

I bought a 12" EZ Flow drop spreader....and cut it down to six feet wide. I've now spread over 33 tons of ag-lime with that spreader. Easy / peasy.
Jeff Sturgis likes barn lime. He has a video of how he just opens the bag and walks and spreads it out of the bag. Not worth it to me for $ 1.00 a bag. The time spent, breathing it, and waiting for a calm day otherwise have it blow all over. I have done both. I like putting 200# in my brinley broadcast spreader and spread it with the atv in less than 10 minutes. It's no big deal to do a ton in about a hour. I'm only plotting about 4 acres thou. I had 15 tons of ag lime dropped off that I spread with a skidloader. It worked but I'm glad I can get away with just maintaining with pelitized lime from now on.

My SIL is a farmer and just took over some land that called for 4000 lbs per acre,good thing wasn't the whole field and just certain areas

I have a drop spreader. Long term, the cost savings of buying cheap ag lime will pay for the drop spreader not to mention the time savings and sore back.

thanks
I don't mind barn lime. There's lots of bluster about particle sizes and what's available quickly. I like the idea of having larger particles out there for long term feeding of calcium and magnesium. God willing, I'm going to be using those larger particles for another 40 years. Be sure you know which is which. Waukesha is dolomitic. Thrifty White is calcitic.

Be sure to compare the CCE between the two when considering price.

Yoderjac, what’s CCE?

Yoderjac, what’s CCE?
Calcium Carbonate Equivalence (CCE). It basically tells you what the neutralizing power is of a given quantity of lime. You need more lime with a lower CCE to do the same thing as a lesser amount of lime with a higher CCE.

Hello! I'm confused. Barn lime. Ag Lime. Where I come from barn lime is what you put down on a wet concrete floor - in a barn - to keep animals like dairy cows from slipping, sliding, falling down and breaking something. In lime terms it is a large particle (if it is to be useful for its purpose) compared to pulverized ag lime which is a small particle size (if it is to useful for its purpose).

If you are standing looking down at a two pallets of lime, one with barn lime and the other with ag lime and the barn lime is a dollar cheaper than the ag lime it is because ag lime needs more processing (grinding, beating and rolling) than the barn lime to fulfill its purpose. If a dollar is important to you I would suggest leaving the barn lime on the pallet. Just walk away. Or, read the label. It's likely the barn lime has nothing on it indicating the percentage of particles passing thru different screen sizes.

But every processor of lime has their own standards with the goal being to sell lime. Buyer beware.

I have always used barn lime to toss on the concrete floors, and gutters to cover the smell. It works great for outhouses, yards that smell like urine from dogs, etc..

If you are buying barn lime, or ag lime from tractor supply in 50# bags, you aren’t being very good with your money. You could easily call your local elevator, or fertilizing plant and have them drop off 10+ tons of it for about $150-250. It is going to be just as much of a pain in the butt to spread as the bagged barn lime, or bagged ag lime that you are paying $5-6 per 50#.

If I am buying lime by the bag, I would be buying pelletized lime, for ease of spreading it.

Last edited:
Saw this on Facebook (consider the source?) and thought it seemed legit? Good reason to put some lime down if you got low PH.

Attachments

• wasted fertilizer.jpg
    wasted fertilizer.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 30