Bamboo ? miscanthus?

Garrett S

5 year old buck +
So there is some bamboo growing on the adjacent neighbors property in SE Ohio. It makes an interesting screen. I asked the guy and he said it just popped up and that it’s known to grow all over. I havent seen it elsewhere but it sure seems like it would make a great screen. No idea where to get it, surely don’t want to be an invasive spreader but if it’s another screening option… I’d like to poke around some more.
e3a1003e58cf14d4a67cfffef723c729.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it hasn’t stayed where it was planted, you don’t want it. There are some clumping bamboos that don’t spread that could be interesting as a screen. But ones that spread on their own are probably bad news if not easily controlled

It might be what is called cane that is native to that region.

Miscanthus can be killed with about 3 rounds of Gly. (I've done it)
Bamboo requires cutting it to the ground and covering it with plastic until it smothers out.

just something to consider when choosing.

So there is some bamboo growing on the adjacent neighbors property in SE Ohio. It makes an interesting screen. I asked the guy and he said it just popped up and that it’s known to grow all over. I havent seen it elsewhere but it sure seems like it would make a great screen. No idea where to get it, surely don’t want to be an invasive spreader but if it’s another screening option… I’d like to poke around some more.
e3a1003e58cf14d4a67cfffef723c729.jpg

Here is an interesting article regarding bamboo in Ohio. https://www.daytondailynews.com/new...rompt-bans-crackdowns/eqYmvqyOTtkEmv7JkPUz5J/

It echos Bill's comment about how to destroy it; further, it indicates a way to allegedly grow/contain it to prevent it from becoming invasive (spreading profusely). There used to be a type of cane growing in southern Illinois that made great cover for blinds (especially waterfowl).

Awesome input. Thanks guys!

I've also heard its great until it defoliates, then you've got a screen you can see thru. But i have a particularly wet bank that I think it'd be fantastic for water run off and a screen

I've also heard its great until it defoliates, then you've got a screen you can see thru. But i have a particularly wet bank that I think it'd be fantastic for water run off and a screen

Makes sense. Willow is the same

In NY the leaves stay on all winter. Debating putting some up at the road front at home. Alot places folks are planting it. Got my house on a small hill, down the hill is a swampy 50 yard patch along the road.

In NY the leaves stay on all winter. Debating putting some up at the road front at home. Alot places folks are planting it. Got my house on a small hill, down the hill is a swampy 50 yard patch along the road.
What planting zone is that? Any pictures of that swampy patch? Curious to see what it looks like

Last edited: