Balansa clover

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Anyone out there have experience with Balansa clover?? I read it's supposed to re-seed itself pretty well, with LOTS of seed produced. Any hands-on planters of Balansa??

It was a waste for us on our lease in GA (Morgan county). Think David H. had some luck with his in a different part of the state.

Thanks for the response, Kdog.

I tried it one year as a replacement for Crimson. The crimson worked much better for us, so we went back to it.

I tried it one year as a replacement for Crimson. The crimson worked much better for us, so we went back to it.
Thanks Jack. I ordered 2 lbs. of Balansa just to try it in a separate area. Not much money involved, but it'll give us an idea as to it's potential at our place. Crimson grew OK for us, but did not re-seed. Strictly an annual one-timer for us. It's a decent addition to other clovers though - at our place - but I wouldn't do a pure crimson stand again.

Last edited:
Yes, it's worth a try. It grew just as well as crimson for us, but it did not reseed as well for me. It is also a taller clover. I'm further south than you and crimson reseeds here. I typically plant for fall as part of my mix along with WR, PTT, and GHR. The WR and GHR are the first fall attractant. Eventually the turnips kick in. The WR and CC take off again in the spring. I mow to terminate any turnips before they bolt. The crimson covers that period in the spring until I'm ready to plant for summer.

I have used it, but always as part of a mix...I have seen it growing about as well as my other clovers, but at a slightly lesser percentage (not sure if it was just a lower percentage in the mix or not)...the deer seem to like it, as I rarely find a plant that doesn't have some nipped off...as Jack said, it is a taller clover so they might be able to find it easier in a mix with other shorter clovers..