Atv rear mounted seeder

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
Anyone have one of these that has no complaints with it. I’m going to buy one this week, but always like to do some homework on them first. I’ve read online that many of them spit the seeds on you as your seeding since there is no shield ( one of many complaints). Do some come with shields? Do they all take small ( clover) and large ( Winter Pea) seeds? Any feed back on the one you have would be great and where you purchased. Thx

When I was researching last year the herd model seemed to be the mostly highly reviewed. I needed one mostly for fertilizer and the herd was out of stock everywhere so I bought a cheap Buyers brand model that was in stock and has been sufficient for fertilizing. I don’t expect it to last long.

I’d be skeptical about using one with small seed but I have no experience with the nicer ones either.

Your talking a broadcast srpeader.... The problem with many is the dust gets in the motor. I went with a cheap buyers too. I removed the motor cover, hosed it off with water, sun dried it, and WD40'd the motor afterwards. Also, the spray gets all over the back on my ATV.

Debated long and hard on what to do. I bought a 3ft wide gandy drop spreader and a 4ft tow behind cultipacker. Litterally a few weeks after getting the 12v one. I am narrowing the cultipacker down to a bit over 36". I am making the hitch connection up high and long. The gandy spreader will be right infront of it.

I've used the gandy spreader, a billion times better than a electric broadcast. Got one used for $150, but was a custon one, so I needed the metering base for another $200. worth it.... Can do powdered lime easily now. The triangular feed meter openings did a batch of rye for me just fine. although the rye variety looked a touch on the small side to me. Will be doing oats next weekend with it. They're usually bigger than rye in my experience.

If going the 12v broadcast spreader route, I am thinking swisher would be the best bet....... They survive salting driveways for 2-3 years for the guys doing driveways in the winter. If not buying a good one thats 12v, get a tow behind one. Keep in mind they might get tippy.

Clover spreading........ Clover plus larger seeds, over time the clover seed bounces down to the bottom. Mix clover seed, larger seed, and pelletized lime and/or fertilizer. The heavy coarse edge particles keep the mixture in suspension. done it as long as I have been food plotting. Looking into making a mixing barrel. throw your stuff in for the batch, cover the lid roll it on the ground a few times, it's mixed. sick of the dust.......... been sick from the dust before too........

Overall, pure clover seed spreading, the only thing I have found was half decent and didnt over pour was the solo 421. At first I hated it, couldnt spread fertilizer or lime. Useless to a food plotter...... Then I gave it a shot with frost seeding last year's clover. That's what they made it for, spreading pure seed. Litterally, anything else will just pour too much seed in. I used to buy 2 or 3 bags of pelletized lime for a 1/3 acre food plot just to thin out the clover. Of course the ground dont mind a bite of lime either...... Another option is using sand too. The nice thing about pelletized lime, is you learn the broadcast rate pretty quick when liming a plot. then you can take that rate, add your small clover or turnip seeds and have a pretty even stand.

Last edited:
I bought a Herd GT77 about 12 years ago. I've got it mounted for a receiver hitch and it's 12 volt powered. I can attach it to the front or rear receivers on my Honda UTV or on the Titan plate that fits the front loader on my tractor. With those options I can apply seeds or fertilizers with either rig. I do have the small seed plate installed in mine.....and can get clover or brassica down to a few lbs per acre. It does not work very well with oats or wheat......but works well with most other seeds.

I have problems with controlling the even directional spread. Always have had issues with direction control......but I get along with it. I've had no motor problems with mine (knock on wood). Darn things are expensive......

Great points all. I mix clover with pellet lime for spreading.

I have used Fimco for last 5 years with no issues. I attach to the front so I am spreading onto undisturbed soil that has not already been driven over.

Bought two cheaper ones. Nothing but trouble. Bit the bullet and bought a swisher model. Has been great. Use if for all my seed broadcasting. Does great with even small seeds. You get what you pay for.

UTV model one I bought.

I have the ATV mounted version of that and worth every penny! Can adjust width of spread. Works great with large or small seed. Planted 2 acres of millet this year in the dove field. Now it's 2 acres of knee deep greeness! My buddy dials it down tight and drives along 6 foot wide bare ground bait strips in the field to keep them interested until the millet matures. Solid. Loved it so much that I got the tow behind to spread fertilizer , lime. or large seeding. Soil test have me not doing lime or fertilizer this year though!

Last edited:
When I was researching last year the herd model seemed to be the mostly highly reviewed. I needed one mostly for fertilizer and the herd was out of stock everywhere so I bought a cheap Buyers brand model that was in stock and has been sufficient for fertilizing. I don’t expect it to last long.

I’d be skeptical about using one with small seed but I have no experience with the nicer ones either.
This is my 3rd year with the buyers atv spreader. It does fine with pel lim and fertilizer and bigger seeds. Only time I’ve ran small seed thru it was about 20 lbs of clover that I frost seeded so wasn’t real concerned about it. I still use the bag seeder for clover/brassicas. I’m looking to update as I’m not sure how long it will last but I’m hoping it at least makes it thru this year yet. Not real keen on dropping $7-$800 on something decent. With the amount of lime I’ll need to spread on my plots after getting soil test results back a tractor one would make more sense. For now the buyers will do what I need. Their power cord only lasted one season. Only real complaint.

Thx for replies