ATV Plow

Peeps

5 year old buck +
I’ve decided to get a plow for 1 of our ATV’s for next winter. I’ll use it on our driveway but the main purpose for it will be to plow our trail system on our 40. Many years the snow is too deep for the wheelers to get back for maple sap season. I’m going to keep the trails plowed all winter so I can get to the back for things and the deer will also like the easy path. I’ve decided on a KFI plow for our sportsman 570. I’m thinking the 60” Pro Poly or the Pro-s steel.

Should be great!

I am impressed how much snow my buddy plows with his UTV. Think 60 inch Moose plow but can guess that many good ones similar. The weak spot on those things is not the blade itself but the struts back to the frame. Add some more steel or gussets and you'll be happy with what they can do. The winch cable does get a bit wanky with all the up down and handling slack or trying wind the connection/clamps into the drum. Gotta watch that

Hi Peeps

I've been plowing the drive into my cabin, about 650 feet long, and the cabin yard for over 20 years. I've got an Arctic Cat 454 and a cycle country plow. The plow was a 60 inch which I cut down to 54 inch so it would fit in my trailer.

If your trails aren't flat enough or wide enough you might have a hard time keeping them open enough for sap season. I plow the drive to about 10 feet wide to keep it clear enough to drive in and so I have enough room to plow each snowfall to. Some years we get enough snow that it's really hard to maintain the width of the drive. The deeper the snow and the wetter the snow the harder it is for the ATV to push it around. Anything over 8 or 9 inches makes it tough to plow in a timely manner. This year it's the wet heavy stuff that made me give upon plowing. We got about 12 inches of heavy snow and I said the heck with it I'll wait until April. I can still get in with 4 wheel drive, but the car won't make it.

I don't know if you've ever plowed snow before but there is a learning curve. How high to set the skids so you don't tear up the gravel or grass in the yard. How wide to plow without snagging the edge of the drive, snag it hard and you can end up facing the wrong way in a hurry. Snag the edge or a tree and you could break off a skid. And of course how fast should I plow, the faster you go the farther you can roll the snow, go too fast and you surely don't want to snag anything.

I see your in northern Marinette county, we aren't too far apart I'm in mid eastern Marinette county close to the Menominee river. The best thing you can do is to plow after every snow fall as long as you're not tying to plow snow with water under it. Once the stuff freezes you won't be able to push it anywhere.

Hi Peeps

I've been plowing the drive into my cabin, about 650 feet long, and the cabin yard for over 20 years. I've got an Arctic Cat 454 and a cycle country plow. The plow was a 60 inch which I cut down to 54 inch so it would fit in my trailer.

If your trails aren't flat enough or wide enough you might have a hard time keeping them open enough for sap season. I plow the drive to about 10 feet wide to keep it clear enough to drive in and so I have enough room to plow each snowfall to. Some years we get enough snow that it's really hard to maintain the width of the drive. The deeper the snow and the wetter the snow the harder it is for the ATV to push it around. Anything over 8 or 9 inches makes it tough to plow in a timely manner. This year it's the wet heavy stuff that made me give upon plowing. We got about 12 inches of heavy snow and I said the heck with it I'll wait until April. I can still get in with 4 wheel drive, but the car won't make it.

I don't know if you've ever plowed snow before but there is a learning curve. How high to set the skids so you don't tear up the gravel or grass in the yard. How wide to plow without snagging the edge of the drive, snag it hard and you can end up facing the wrong way in a hurry. Snag the edge or a tree and you could break off a skid. And of course how fast should I plow, the faster you go the farther you can roll the snow, go too fast and you surely don't want to snag anything.

I see your in northern Marinette county, we aren't too far apart I'm in mid eastern Marinette county close to the Menominee river. The best thing you can do is to plow after every snow fall as long as you're not tying to plow snow with water under it. Once the stuff freezes you won't be able to push it anywhere.
My trails are wide enough to drive my truck down them and if it gets too bad I know my neighbor would scope them out with his tractor. Eventually when I move up there full time I plan on getting a tractor. My place is over by Pembine. My wife wanted to use our snowblower for the trails 😂. The plow will give me a good excuse to run up there after every snow 😀.

I plow my place in MN with a KFI plow on my Honda ATV. It works great, but you just need to start the winter by plowing way out since every time you plow you have less room to push the new snow.

Trails in the woods can be a little tricky since you won't have as much room to push the snow way back. I'm sure it will work well some winters, but a really snow winter might be a little tough. Better than shoveling though-