Attempted Thieves - Need Padlock help

Is your access point gated or is the container hidden from the road? I dont have gates up yet but havent had any issues with people driving into my land in that area. I was going to leave a camper out there but that seems like a prime break-in target for an underage party I would guess who did this is someone who lives very close by and can see/predict when you come and go.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is somewhat visible in the winter and spring. I have some gates, and adding more.. In addition to evergreens (for a long term approach). If someone wants to walk around them they can though... I have a camper along the road and haven't had an issue yet. We don't lock it. It is however right across the road from an occupied farmhouse which I'm sure helps a lot. So instead of hiding it, I made it very visible. We don't lock it and if someone made their way in there, they aren't finding much:)

For security purposes, what is your opinion on yard lights when you dont live there? Do you have one and leave it on? Leave it off? Or have an automatic light that comes on with movement?

I have thought about this for awhile, and thought a light always on, may just help shine the area and attract a thief. A light that automatically comes on with movement, will that just light up the area for a thief so he can see better?

Bandsaw with a fresh blade set as slow as possible. Cut right through it

For security purposes, what is your opinion on yard lights when you dont live there? Do you have one and leave it on? Leave it off? Or have an automatic light that comes on with movement?

I have thought about this for awhile, and thought a light always on, may just help shine the area and attract a thief. A light that automatically comes on with movement, will that just light up the area for a thief so he can see better?

If the place has WiFi get a “ring” spotlight. $30 for the year and all videos are recorded. Your also immediately alerted with any triggers amid the camera

Anyone have any suggestions for removing a padlock that someone tried to drill out unsuccessfully?? I have a shipping container to store our equipment out at our land. Sometime since last weekend, someone went out there and tried cutting it off and also drilling it out. It's a beefy lock and they didn't get it open. There was another lock as well behind a guard built into the container. I can't open my container now which made for a wasted visit today with the kids... Curious if you have any tips for removing them in this state?

Filed a report to see if there is other activity in the area... It is the first time I've had a real issue and have only had one person on camera who was an old local that was more confused than anything. I normally have cameras every three inches, but of course had them at home this past week to change out batteries and clean up after the winter... That thing will be fort knox with cell cameras and more going forward....
That type of lock is very easy to break I would get some type of lock box to cover your lock so it’s not easy to get at with a cold chisel and a small hammer you can knock the rivet heads off and the hole lock falls apart

Last edited:
Also just something I thought of. In one of the garbage crime infested cities I find myself working in often, we have had a welder torch a hatch into the top of the container. Multiple locks on top. The container is still locked from the outside as well as inside. Even if they get into the top (people don’t look there) they aren’t able to get larger tools and machinery out. It’s not perfect, but when we decided to try it, no more tools fell victim to the local POS thieves