Atrazine for switchgrass

Brian662

5 year old buck +
I've got the chance to get some atrazine put down on my second year and new switchgrass plantings. The atrazine is in powder form and will need to be mixed before spraying. Has anyone ever done this? Best I can tell is that 1 lb of powder is about equal to 1 qt of liquid atrazine. The farmer puts down 1/2 lb (1/2 qt) per acre, but everything I've seen including what Dbltree posted on a different forum says to apply between 2-4 qts/acre.
Last year I used simazine and applied it at 3 qt/acre with some success. I've always read that atrazine was better and this is the first time I've had the chance to use it. I know to keep it away from waterways and I don't have anything to spray within several hundred yards of a waterway.
Any other advice? What about the relationship of lbs to quarts between powder and liquid?

Last edited:
Don't know about Lbs to Qts. But I've never been afraid to go with 4qts/acre when planting Miscanthus or Switch.
I've never sprayed in year 2 but don't think it could hurt. I did spray year 3 once and it really cleaned the field up.

I believe the 2/qts per acre on the label is for corn. Probably figuring many will follow with beans the next year and the MFG doesn't want to encourage leftover residue that will hurt the beans. Since that's not the plan here a bit of residual wont hurt.