Are my trees OK?

Jerry-B-WI

5 year old buck +
The pictures here are of a couple pear trees I planted in spring of 2021. I made sure they got 5 gallons of water a week last year and left them alone after that. Is it normal that the bark would be splitting like it is or is there something wrong with the trees?

IMG_0663.jpg IMG_0664.jpg

Had a Kieffer look like that, its leaves looked healthy but it didnt grow at all. After a couple years like that it didn't leaf out the next spring. The rootstock re-sprouted and I t budded it.

Answer: Nope.

I had a kieffer look just like that for a few years and it grew out of it. Def a setback but it's growing again. Planted maybe 6 yrs ago (was a rural king tree) and is maybe 16' tall now.

Does that crack happen to be on the SW side of tree

Does that crack happen to be on the SW side of tree
Not sure, I didn't pay attention to which side. Are you thinking too much sun?

Winter injury possibly. SW side?

sun scauld,could it have started last winter

What's wrong with them, can they be saved? Is it something I did and could it have been prevented?
My advice is: Take lots of pictures and notes of evidence. If and when it dies pull it out and check the roots for nematodes or insect damage. There are so many things that can go wrong. If you want to learn what went wrong get as much evidence of physiological problems as you can. Get a book on fruit tree diseases and fruit tree insects. Remember, trees can die of insect damage, diseases (virus), fungal attacks, and stress (and combinations of same). A tree can die because of above-the-ground or below-the-ground root attacks. Problems on young trees can also arise from incompatible or bad graft unions or bad soil conditions. The more a tree is in stress the more insects like to attack it.
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but the cracked bark may have initially been caused by sun scald. Sun scald starts on the tops of branches and the south side (sun side) in the winter. In very cold weather, sunlight warms the bark on one side and it cracks when expanding. A crack in the bark can be the opening for other attacks. Prevent sun scald by painting the tree with white latex paint thinned 50% with water.

Last edited: