Apples, If you were to pick just 3

Teeder

5 year old buck +
The more I read about apple varieties, the more I get overwhelmed. I'm looking for just a couple varieties with drop times to cover October through December. This would be in a no spray, little to no prune situation. Northwest PA, zone 5.
I have a few planted from Bluehill, but they are young. I also have some dolgo rootstock planted that I plan to graft this coming season. If you were to concentrate on a couple varieties, what would they be?

I'm probably not the person to best ask about apples but you might want to clarify what you want. I assume it's for deer?

Yes, sorry. Strictly for deer attraction for hunting. Archery into rifle season.

Take my thoughts with a grain of salt as I'm only a few years into apples. However, it doesn't seem like apples would be little or no pruning. At some point, to get the most out of them they're likely going to have to be pruned. I don't spray mine. Hopefully that continues to be the case.

As far as that time frame, I have Enterprise, Yates, Arkansas Black, Keener Seedling, and Winesap. I've heard some good about all. From what I read Yates may be a great one for you. Enterprise is disease resistant and may be a good option. Keener Seedling supposedly holds really late until dropping. Of course there are crab apples you can consider too. Just my $0.02.

Apples are work.
For feeding critters with the least amount of maintenance, and it all needs some maintenance, I would plant crabapples/thornapples/hawthorns.
But you asked about apples so I will throw out haralson as a type that has done well in my woods. Nice structure and growth rate so far early October drop time reportedly.

Honeygold. It seems to be a late or extended bloomer in the spring so avoids the frost. It's been super productive for me and has been fine with no sprays, other than fly speck or sooty blotch, which hurts nothing. It starts dropping some the beginning of October, dropping a few every time we have a windy day. Over half of the apples are still holding today.

My number one is Kerr. I don’t have a number 2 yet of named varieties. Kerr is a home run deer apple.

Golden Russett: It is a late dropper and an open tree because it is a tip-bearer so it does not require as much pruning. Since is not red, and is a firm apple, it is not a favorite of birds or wasps. Being firm it does not bruise easily when it drops.
Golden Delicious: In full sunlight it is a vary reliable cropper. Many trees, if not taken fertilized and care of, tend to become biennial bearers. GD is a late hanger also.
Jonagold: Late hanger. Great taste. Even if the apples are for the deer that doest mean it shouldn't be a good fresh eating apple!

Last edited:
My number one is Kerr. I don’t have a number 2 yet of named varieties. Kerr is a home run deer apple.
Thanks. Thats one that i have from bluehill. When does it drop for you?

I advise getting your list together from these guys then call a local nursery or orchard. Tell them you want disease resistance, late drops, and heavy production. See if any of their advised varieties match what you're getting here. Go with those.

Last edited:
Good advice.
Bluehill is right here in Pa also. So I've been leaning towards what they have. Just looking to narrow it down some.

Good advice.
Bluehill is right here in Pa also. So I've been leaning towards what they have. Just looking to narrow it down some.

Your answer needs to be region specific. As you read through the comments in this section, you will see that disease resistance/pressure varies with the region of the country. Drop time also varies by region. Varieties that appear to be disease resistant in one area are not so in other areas(in some cases).

Ryan at Bluehill is a straight shooter and will give you an honest answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be sure to have a whitetail crabs Droptine. It flat out grows and produces. Also drops during the time you're looking for. I shook a few off mine on the way to my stand this evening.

So far my top choices are Chestnut Crab, Fireside & Common Wild Apple.

If I had to pick three for the deer in my area, they would be chestnut crab,Kerr, and Big Dog. I do wish Kerr was a bigger tree.

I am not in Pennsylvania and choices are probably different for there.

Bwoods says common wild apple. I run a bit colder for winter than his location. That apple might work fine. Seedling apples from my wife’s Grandma work, but some get CAR.

Thanks. Thats one that i have from bluehill. When does it drop for you?
They start dropping in October and I usually shake off what is left Thanksgiving week. I usually don’t go up after that but I would think they easily hang into December.

I hope to contribute to this discussion in a couple of years as my trees are not producing yet 4+ years in. Liberty and Enterprise have been the best growers in 6a. Too early to tell on the crabs.

Here are some suggestions ...
Kerr
Wicksen
Enterprise
Redfield
Turning Point
Drop Tine
Franklin Cider - fruit 2nd years and some still hanging

You'll want to look at any combination for pollination compatibility bloom time wise.

Here is my 4th year Drop Tine fro Whitetail Crabs with it's 1st fruiting. Still hanging as of today after multiple hard frosts.

1667252057620.jpeg

I would love to get some apple trees going but I really don’t think the bears would allow it. I had what I think were 7 different bears on camera in a single day in September. They seem to love the red clover in my plots. Following along with this anyway and might try a few of the different crabs mentioned here next spring.

I did see a post or pictures one time of a guy that bear proofed his apple trees with the metal cage off an IBC tote I believe. Not sure if that was on this site or not.