Apple trees

Josh Anderson

Yearling... With promise
I hunt in very northern minnesota and I want to plant Apple trees next year and I'm wonder what varietys are best for deer, when to plant, and how to keep deer from destroying

Do a search and look at caging with cement wire and wrapping the lower trunk with aluminum window screen that is stapled shut.
You will spend as much protecting the tree as the cost of the tree, so plan accordingly.

It depends on how far north you are talking about. Are you USDA zone 3 or 4?
Please indicate your location.

If you are a bow hunter, plant a chestnut crab to start with. In zone 3, you have less choices.
I have some pictures on my Sandbox thread.

I'm in 3b I think.....

I'm in 3b I think.....
I live on the edge of 3 and 4. Old mps said 3, new maps say 4.
I have see a chestnut crab do well up in zone 3, where I grew up. Also saw a haralred do well until 2 winters back and then it died out-up in zone 3.
I am trying some of the Canadian prairie apples next spring.

Norland has been reported as very hardy, but it is an early variety. Look at some of the other Nor.. varieties, Norkent might be one of them.
There is a website for a nursery in Grand Rapids, Mn.that I occasionally look at. They sell zone 3 and 4 apples, but check out their zone 3 varieties. I can't remember the name of the place.....

Don't be afraid of crabapples for deer. Look for any wild trees in your area.

Prairie Magic is an apple from Canada very high quality and will take zone 3 I think , They are available now at nurseries in the United States at a steep price .

Prairie Magic is an apple from Canada very high quality and will take zone 3 I think , They are available now at nurseries in the United States at a steep price .
Have you tried them, yet?

Trees went in this spring , on bud 9 so anticipate a little fruit spring 16 , do not plant bud 9 without complete deer control forever , just a heads up for anyone that does not know

Amen to that. If you plant small need to always forever protect from deer. But it's not hard