Apple trees

Gross144

A good 3 year old buck
Question for the apple tree pro’s. Was upstate this past few days hunting and checking on my trees. They were bought spring 2020 and raised on long island and the transplanted fall 2020 upstate new york new Binghamton.

i caged them and put some plastic piping around base for rodent control.
when i checked them this morning it looks like there are roots sprouting all the way up the base of the trunk. Not sure if normal or an issue.
and advice welcome. 2231E6C9-D96E-4202-A700-5706561BB34C.jpeg

Burr knots. Some rootstocks like to produce these. The drain pipe likely helped these form because it kept it shaded and moist. It’s also great spot for voles to nest in winter.

I second using the aluminum or small mesh screen.

We also once used black plastic drain pipe - and as Chickenlittle said - they made great nesting "hotels" for mice and voles during the winter. The critters chewed ALL the bark off inside the drain pipes for winter food ........... KILLING EVERY TREE. That was over 25 years ago - with newer trees planted since 2013, we now use aluminum window screen and haven't had any rodent problems with it. Lesson learned the HARD WAY.

I have used great deal of that black pipe without issue. I’d say it’s more a function of the rootstock.

I agree with the wire window (aluminum, not plastic). Mice, voles, chipmunks, etc will chew through that plastic pipe.

We didn't have a burr knot problem with the drain pipe ......... but the rodents set up shop in them.

Drain tile is for draining... stick with aluminum window screen; proven, cheap, effective, works "."

If you must use drain pipe cut it down to two rings. I use that method on my yard trees and I have never had a vole go over it. I use it more for protection from the weed whacker.