Apple Trees - Weather Damage? Too much apple weight?

nrowles

5 year old buck +
I planted these trees May of last year. A couple of them put an apple on by fall and this year they exploded. Not sure how old they are but I am very pleased.

We had a really bad/windy storm come through a week ago and it deflated a couple of the trees. 3 of 5 still look good. 1st picture and 2nd picture are the same kind of tree. They looked very similar before the storm but the one came back looking real nice and the other isn't "springing back". 3rd picture is a different kind but also is now droopy where before it mostly pointed up. Is this a problem? Is it because of the weight? Should I remove some apples? Should I string up the drooping branches? Leave it all go as-is?

I also have other trees where before the apples came on, the branches were not hanging downward so I didn't prune them. Now they have a bunch of apples and are hanging down towards the ground. I assume this is ok for this year and they will get pruned for next year?

I put 6 feet diameter cages around these trees but a couple have branches spread out enough that the branches are already hitting the cage whole way around. I assume this has to be ok until the tree is tall enough I can trim these lower branches? Or should I tie these back towards the center somehow?

I think that's all. Any input on things I should not or should be doing based on the pictures or my comments above are welcome. Thank you.

1st picture is jonagold that springed back after storm. 2nd picture is a jonagold that is very droopy now. 3rd picture is a cortland the branches seem to be wildly spread out now and not heading upward. With what you can see do I need to do anything with these trees or do I just let them go?

Personally, I would remove all the apples. At my place, the coons would get in there and tear those young trees to the ground

I agree with removing the apples. The tree is putting energy in growing fruit not wood.

You will need to prune the side branches ~1/3 to promote more limb strength development.

On a couple of those trees it looks like all the branches come off the same crotch area which can lead to a weak area. Normally you want limbs alternating for better strength.

Looks like you have several multiple leader tree and a central leader one. Lots of videos on YouTube to show to prune to improve limb strength.

Last edited:
I remove all of the apples on young trees.

IMO for apple trees for deer, you want them to grow above browsing height. I work at keeping the central leader straight for as long as possible. You also need to decide at what height you want your first scaffold of branches.

I would remove all of the apples and get a ten foot or longer conduit and tie the central leader to the conduit in 3-4 places. I have used the old nylons that my wife would otherwise discard. That conduit needs to be two feet in the ground but it may vary with soil type.

Fruit definitely needs to go, probably next year too until they have grown scaffold limbs strong enough to support the fruit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer. We were looking forward to eating these apples.

based on my situation, After removing the apples should I prune the trees now in dry summer or wait until late fall?

Bummer. We were looking forward to eating these apples.

based on my situation, After removing the apples should I prune the trees now in dry summer or wait until late fall?

Where are you located?

Pruning is best done when tree is dormant. Here in the north that is usually around February.

Where are you located?

Pruning is best done when tree is dormant. Here in the north that is usually around February.
Pennsylvania