Apple trees starting to ship to Wisconsin

PoorSand

5 year old buck +
One of the nurseries I deal with in Tennessee has kept an eye on the weather forecast and informed me that they will be shipping apple tree whips to me on Monday. They did the same thing last time and it worked out fine.

I have a spare chest freezer set to its highest temperature setting. I about filled it up with pop bottles filled with water a month ago. I turned it off yesterday and my thermometer says the temperature inside is currently 30 degrees. Based on past experience, the temperature inside will be in the mid to upper 30s by the time the trees arrive (probably Thursday). In the past, I monitored the temperature inside the freezer daily and if it started getting up to 40, I took out some of the pop bottles and replaced them with frozen pop bottles from another freezer. I plan to do the same again this year.

FedEx seems to be faster than UPS. The nursery in Tennessee shipped at 9:25 Monday night and the box of trees is already in Madison in less than 20 hours.

UPS on the other hand frequently notifies me that I have a delivery coming, then notifies me it has been delayed until the next day, and then notifies me yet again that it has been delayed to two days late. If there is a weekend involved, the package shows up after even more days of delay than that.

Last edited:
I ordered some from Wolfrath's, probably won't be ready for pick-up until April. They don't ship but they're about an hour away from where they will be planted.

Curious to know where you ordered from and what age/size they have available

Tamarack: Check your private messages.

The rest of the story...
The trees shipped out Monday night and were in my "cooler" by noon today (Wednesday).
The nursery must have run short on the size I ordered and so most of them were the next size up, at no extra charge.

Reactions: DJN