Apple tree issue

browndog

5 year old buck +
I checked on my apple trees yesterday and they are loaded but there is a slight problem with a few of them. We had some high winds this past weekend and three of the trees are leaning to the east. The ground around the trunks is heaved a little, any more hard wind and I think the some roots are going to pop out of the ground. Trees are 8-10' tall and I didn't have them staked anymore. I re-staked two of them this morning and got them standing fairly straight with a t-post and I used a bungee strap to secure the tree to the stake but it seems like there was alot of pressure on the trunk of the tree and was kind of worried about the pressure on the tree from the strap. I also tamped the ground down around the trunk. Just looking for some advice on what you guys would do and if I did the right thing.

Last edited:
I dont have any pics. I will try to get some when I get back out there. Might remove some apples and add another strap to the two trees that I kind of straightened up, so there isn't so much pressure on the one strap.

What about removing some fruit to reduce load and pressure and adding pea gravel / crushed limestone mulch to try and help hold it down? Would that help at all?

Here is one of the trees that were leaning. It was leaning twice as much and I have it supported fairly good now. Still has a little lean to it but I think I can tighten the straps and wire every few days? I have the wire going through a chunk of air hose so it doesnt ruin the tree. I tamped around the base with a maul for now. I know the tree probably needs some pruning.

Last edited:
A few years back at my old house I had a nice 12' tall 5 year old apple tree get blown over in a storm. The heavy rain loosened the soil and the wind blew the tree over - the roots just couldn't hold the wet soil. The tree was at a 45 degree angle and the side branches were literally laying on the ground - it was not looking good. I pushed the tree back up vertically and put a T post 5 feet away and tied the tree to it with a cheap rope. I left the tree tied to that post for several years and never had another issue. Every year I would untie the rope and loosen it up and re-attach (to prevent damage from the rope). After a couple years the tree was anchored and it was perfectly vertical again. I left the T post attached just as extra insurance and the tree is doing fine. I sold that house 2 years ago and the new owners took down the T post when they moved in but the tree is still doing fine without any support.

I'd take some of those apples off up top. You don't want that central leader to snap off from the weight.

Ok. I think I need Crazy Ed over next spring for a pruning party. :D

Ok. I think I need Crazy Ed over next spring for a pruning party. :D

Naw, you don't need my help. Get a bunch of nice pics once the leaves drop. Post them here, you will get enough feedback to clean them up, if they even need it. Where are you growing? Weston's has a great pruning class too if you are looking to learn a few things.

I am having some of the same issues. Fruit thinning is the right action. I lost s couple of central leaders a few years ago. Maybe will have a few more this year if I don't thin fruit yikessss

I am having some of the same issues. Fruit thinning is the right action. I lost s couple of central leaders a few years ago. Maybe will have a few more this year if I don't thin fruit yikessss

I think it was just a matter of time and there would have been some apple trees laying on the ground, they were at a 45 degree angle. Glad I caught it in time. Here is the tree posted above after I knocked some apples off and put another fastener to the stake.

Last edited:
Post them here, you will get enough feedback to clean them up, if they even need it. Where are you growing? Weston's has a great pruning class too if you are looking to learn a few things.

Waushara Co. This tree will need some pruning next spring.

Thanks NH. Here was another tree that I propped back up, re-staked and knocked some apples off.

Last edited:
Browndog

Good news is you have amazing apples and some sweeeeet corn no pun intended. Nice job

Browndog

Good news is you have amazing apples and some sweeeeet corn no pun intended. Nice job

That's a plot of field corn. My sweet corn is another battle right now, it's being raided by coons. They pulled a bunch of cobs down last night again and it looks like they were munching on them around my livetrap.:mad:

Doesn't matter it's still awesome corn. The deer are eating mine at stalk stage so no worries about coons yet but I planted enough that I will get plenty. Keep up the good work

Nice trees Browndog. Thinning or pruning some side branches are normal practice. If some of those side branches are very precocious don't be afraid to take them out during the summer in the future.

Nice trees Browndog. Thinning or pruning some side branches are normal practice. If some of those side branches are very precocious don't be afraid to take them out during the summer in the future.
George-are you saying to remove those side branches that are heavy bearing to prevent tipping of the tree or for another reason?

I knocked off about 40% of the apples that were on the trees. I need to post some pics this spring for some pruning guidance. I have ten apple trees in this spot and I have never pruned them.

George-are you saying to remove those side branches that are heavy bearing to prevent tipping of the tree or for another reason?
Yes, to prevent tipping/ overload. It also allows better light distribution. It just tells you the top could have been thinned more by pruning during the winter pruning. We just went to an on site seminar and the owner of the orchard was showing everyone his platform pruning system and that was exactly what he was showing us. Pretty cool too, he had pneumatic pruners! What a beastly set up. This is a big orchard and he has that system working every day this time of year.

Both pruning and thinning are good things to keep in the toolbag!

I knocked off about 40% of the apples that were on the trees. I need to post some pics this spring for some pruning guidance. I have ten apple trees in this spot and I have never pruned them.
That's what I just said to Art, it just tells you, you may have needed to prune more, but the thinning will get you out of the woods for now............Good luck!