Apple Root Stock Choices

Maddmatt

Yearling... With promise
One of my habitat improvement goals for the year is to start planting a few soft mast trees. Currently in the "backyard corner orchard" I have one pear, one apple, and one peach that were present when I purchased the property last summer. The trees are young but bearing size, the pear produced phenomenally last fall, but the apple and peach did poorly, the apple showed a lot of CAR. My property is mostly North facing mountain side. The mountain is rocky/bouldery with areas that also posses clays. I have a few flats along old logging roads and a few ridges. I also have a few sandy flats creekside. The creek side flats do occasionally flood for a few days in the spring, and also have a few scattered homes across the creek from them.

Ok with the background information out of the way. I discovered that my local Ag Extension office orders root stocks every spring for ~1.50 a rootstock. I missed this years order but they mangaged to scrape up a few surplus. For South East Kentucky, in possibly sloped plantings would you choose a M7a rootstock or Bud 9. These are not going to be the only trees I plant, just my foray into grafting.

That's the direction I was leaning, I was hoping they would have had M111, but maybe next year

Ditto Turkey Creeks advice. B9 is so dwarfing (35%) that it will never get beyond the browse line and does best when grown with supporting trellises. M7 grows to roughly 65% full height and M.111 roughly 85% full height. You’re correct, if you can get M.111, that’s your best option.

But something to think about. You’ve only got room for a few soft mast trees, so I am guessing even the minimum order for rootstocks will be more than you really need. Put that money toward a few nice, locally sourced, bare-root apple trees and you will be years ahead in getting your trees into producing. Either way… good luck, keep us posted!

Ditto Turkey Creeks advice. B9 is so dwarfing (35%) that it will never get beyond the browse line and does best when grown with supporting trellises. M7 grows to roughly 65% full height and M.111 roughly 85% full height. You’re correct, if you can get M.111, that’s your best option.

But something to think about. You’ve only got room for a few soft mast trees, so I am guessing even the minimum order for rootstocks will be more than you really need. Put that money toward a few nice, locally sourced, bare-root apple trees and you will be years ahead in getting your trees into producing. Either way… good luck, keep us posted!
I'm definitely planning to get a few bare roots and container trees as well. There's a nice little nursery a few counties north in Jackson county that I plan to hit up. What has me really interested in grafting is a few local trees that have good drop times and have been no spray since ~40's and I'd love to ensure their continuation.

I have one good bench about 1/3 the way up my mountain that when cleared it will probably be ~10 acres of flat, thats where I'd like to eventually put my primary orchard. Im still learning my property and trying to ensure that its the best use of that portion before I hike a chainsaw up that ways.