Apple Blossoms in September

Teeder

5 year old buck +
What's up with that? I've got new blossoms on an Empire, that I grafted this year, and a Nova Spy, that's about 5 years old. I've never seen apples do this before.

Attachments

• 20230921_181738.jpg
    20230921_181738.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 15
I had it happen a few years ago with some trees we had a frost that wiped out almost all the blooms on a couple of my trees and they rebloomed latter in the season it was odd for sure.

Not quite the same thing, but one of my lilacs just bloomed a week or two ago. I think if the plants enter some kind of dormancy from drought or other stress they will switch back into reproductive mode.

Makes sense, but the Nova's produced nicely this year. Weird.

I have a ditch apple that drops apples and leaves fairly early. Several times in the last 20 yrs if we get a week long spell of Indian summer in late Oct or first week of Nov it puts out some blossoms on branches. This would be after having some hard frosts and of course days are shorter. The daylight and temps can feel out of season almost like spring

I had a Gala that had blossoms on fall when it was young.

The Anna apple in my backyard blooms every September and October in south Mississippi. Annas drop their apples in June. I am not sure why it blooms later in the year. A couple of years it has produced dime sized apples in November. The picture below is from mid October.
apple.jpg

It's because of your extremely long growing season. It's messing with the tree's brain. Have you no shame, man?

I have a 1 year old liberty that has a blossom or two. Overall, that particular tree wants to grow fast. Got a more mild mannered liberty next to it from same source and rootstock.