All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone known anything about generators?

D

dipper

im thinking small Honda, or top quality equivalent. I want one to plug the block heaters on my tractors into during winter. So the tractors warm up for 20 minutes or so, and they start easy in the cold. Maybe charge the batteries on tractor too. Tractors will be in enclosed sheds, but u know how hard they can be to start....
I want the generator to be Light so I can carry it into the basement and keep it warm so it starts easy on the land. But big enough so I can plug the tractor into or maybe small power tools on the land.
I'm Ignorant, will those little units be up to task? I think the heating units in those tractors are pretty simple.

Enclosed shed....just be careful to keep door open to avoid CM.

im thinking small Honda, or top quality equivalent. I want one to plug the block heaters on my tractors into during winter. So the tractors warm up for 20 minutes or so, and they start easy in the cold. Maybe charge the batteries on tractor too. Tractors will be in enclosed sheds, but u know how hard they can be to start....
I want the generator to be Light so I can carry it into the basement and keep it warm so it starts easy on the land. But big enough so I can plug the tractor into or maybe small power tools on the land.
I'm Ignorant, will those little units be up to task? I think the heating units in those tractors are pretty simple.
Not sure about block heaters but that Honda 2000 would work nice on the power tools. Find out how much draw your block heat takes and go to a dealer and ask them. Dealers have charts to tell you if your in the limits of the generator.

Looks like it depends on how long the heater is inside, which I have no idea. Most heaters are 600-1000w, which should work with one of those Honda 2000s?

Looks like it depends on how long the heater is inside, which I have no idea. Most heaters are 600-1000w, which should work with one of those Honda 2000s?

Each plug on the generator will have an amp fuse rating. Check your heater amp draw to confirm what it is. The dealer should be able to help confirm.

We bought the cheapest one at cabelas on super special for $250 I believe for a 3500 watt model. Starts on the 1st pull every time. It's our second one on 10 years. But considering how many hundred hours we have run them ice fishing.....we have gotten our money out of them. It's still more economical to buy a new one every 6 or 7 years for $250 plus than spend the big money on a huge brand name model.

We have cold started ours at lake of the woods at 20 below with no problems. You don't want to be carrying them around. They are heavy.

We bought the cheapest one at cabelas on super special for $250 I believe for a 3500 watt model. Starts on the 1st pull every time. It's our second one on 10 years. But considering how many hundred hours we have run them ice fishing.....we have gotten our money out of them. It's still more economical to buy a new one every 6 or 7 years for $250 plus than spend the big money on a huge brand name model.
I've got the same one. Brand name is Champion. Can't beat the price. If only used it a handful of times during power outages but as you said it starts with ease everytime. Its actually pretty darn quiet too.

No need to worry about too many amps. You are just heating the block to heat the fuel. Even 1000 should be ok