Anybody trust volunteer Clover seed?

How do you handle clover in your rotation

• Dont put seed if clover is doing well.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fall Seed Only

• Frost Seed Only

• Both Fall and Winter Frost seeding

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Took folks advice and layed off mowing. Haven't mowed since late june. Got lots of dark seed heads. I did mix clover in my rye, pelletized lime, and fertilizer mix. Felt like I was wasting my money with the clover.

Sprayed 2 quarts / acre on mostly dutch white / medium red, some timothy, plenty of english plantain, some crabgrass and pigweed.

6lbs/acre dutch white, ladino, medium red, and some alfalfa. 75lbs rye 15 lbs oats. 100 lb/acre 6/24/24 300/b acre pelletized lime. Drop spreaded, mow hig, then mow low, then lawn rolled. Still need to do some work on the cultipacker.

I've only ever planted clover once, and so far haven't ever needed to top it up. I use dutch white almost exclusively now. I have begun overseeding a light rate of fixation balansa for fall planting. That idea is still being reviewed, but fixation absolutely brings the summer biomass, and has quickly become a summer grazing favorite for my critters. I don't need summer forage at all, but I also don't pass up the opportunity to drive up the species count and help put the N to my cereals and broadleaves.

Once established, I focus exclusively on trying to stuff my clover with carbon (cereals) and broadleaf competition all year long. One mowing early August with a recharge of cereals (2 bushels winter species, 1 bushel spring) and other complimentary species (flax, collards, millet and whatever else gets my attention).