Antonovka apple

greyphase

5 year old buck +
I planted a bundle of 10 Antonovka apple seedlings from St. Lawrence nursery back in 2008. I've top worked all but 2 of them over to other varieties. This year it looks like I'll have some Antonovka apples.
5-22-17%20036_zpsyko5bkaj.jpg

Let me know how they turn out and I may let one grow out too. I've heard b118 apples are not all that great, but notice Richard Fayhey lists a 1.5lb antonovka.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Let me know how they turn out and I may let one grow out too. I've heard b118 apples are not all that great, but notice Richard Fayhey lists a 1.5lb antonovka.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Will do Merle.

I am not impressed by them and this spring topworked with Noran. I hope Noran is CAR resistant. ant. is not.

Nice job Art!

Very cool tks for posting. Took quite awhile to get apples. I'm curious, Did the trees you top worked produce sooner?

None of my topworks have produced yet, but two years after topworking, many are blooming and I am stripping the blooms off of them. I might leave Golden Hornet carry a few apples. It is not a topwork, but a bench graft.

Topworks on wild crabs have worked well.

An update on my Antonovka seedling apple. This pic was taken last week. I don't think they are going to mature much bigger than a large crabapple. A little disappointed but hey crabapples are good wildlife food too and the tree is loaded with healthy fruit.

This spring I grafted two scions of "Brown Betty" on to B118. A SLN introduction of a Antonovka seedling that is supposedly a late hanger. 4 or 5 years down the road hopefully I'll be reporting on it.

Grey - The leaves look pretty clean and the fruit looks good. That's a win !!

Kicking an old thread alive. I see many tree suppliers are starting to sell out, and soon some folks will be wanting to buy rootstock instead.

Debating grafting all, or just most of my 18 antonovka. All are alive and kicking. They were well cared for this summer, often getting watered twice a week.

about 10 will stay at home here in zone 5, looking for 1/2 faster growing crabapples, and maybe 1/2 freedom from fedco maybe..... Likely will always get water once a week. The other 8 I am going to plant up north in maybe 2 years. That is by SLN nurseries in the adirondacks with lake effect snows often zone 3. MY deer yard most years, sometimes sutborn mature bucks like being alone, so a late dropper might be helpful for the trail camera.

^^^^ Slim pickings up there in northern N.Y. winters. HUGE snowfalls there off the lakes. I worked up there outside Oswego through one winter. I can see why a late-dropping apple tree would be a welcome thing for the deer.

I stopped putting trail cameras up there over the winter. About 18 inches of snow and they're gone. I think the last year I left cameras was 17'. All deer activity stopped mid december except one nice 10 pointer. A member shot the buck the next fall. I'd say every 3rd inter the deer stay. I focus hard on making early season forage for them when they come back. A doe can stop a pregnancy if starvation is severe. Been focusing on clover, rye, and red dogwood where I can. And promote striped maple where it grows.

Guys what’s been the typical drop time on antonovka? I planted several root stock and have topworked most but not all over to other verities if it’s a latter drop time I may leave some of them alone.

All of the Antonovka’s listed in the USDA GRIN collection are early to mid season ripening. As seedlings, your trees will vary in when they ripen and drop.

I emailed SLN about their bareroots about 2 weeks ago. They said, each bareroot is different. Overall, the fruit is small sized and is an early season tree.

Alot of modern tree grafting is about fast trees. Fast to produce, and in 20 years or so, plant new ones. Antonovkas seem to be very long lived trees. These might be better rootstocks for land your going to pass down.

MY town and general area historically is a signficant apple tree producing area. The area is also a fall toursit attraction. Alot of changing hands the last few years with NYC folks moving out of the city. Seen alot of nice old apple trees in people's yards get knocked down......

I ordered these anty's a bit on a whim. Bang for buck........ However, adding cages, years of fertilizer, hours of labor pruning and watering, and loosing food plot area to grow these trees; you're best of getting the best or a good combination of trees for your area. MY camp is in one 3, so antonovka is a good rootstock. I am grafting freedom and chestnut carb to my antonovkas as well as what specialty crabapple scions I might be getting.

Antonovka is probably my favorite rootstock large long lived trees with a deep tap root that can take drought conditions but very slow to start production. So there is a trade off but I’m planting many of my trees as much or more for the next generation than for myself so I’ll deal with the slow to produce aspect hoping my grandchildren will still be enjoying the fruits of my labor. Since it sounds like they are typically an early apple I may go ahead and graft them all to other verities instead of leaving a couple as antonovka apples.

Pulled a few bare roots I planted in April. The one taken against the rowboat is the runt of the litter. The other is about average growth. Decided to plant a few faster apples trees in some spots and divide up the big open backyard I got with more spruce trees.

Attachments

• 20221111_084154.jpg
    20221111_084154.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20221111_081337.jpg
    20221111_081337.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 17
Does antonovka rootstock throw suckers as tree gets older?

I know that some rootstocks varieties sucker more than others.

Bit the bullet. Got sick of hemmin and hawin' over what to graft. Ordered 1/2 freedom and the other half dolgo, chestnut, and hewe's crab., and thre in a burgandy. Got them from fedco.