antonovka apple tree

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I see whitetail crabs has Antonovka apple tree for sale in their "other section". There is no mention of drop time other than "the fall". From a little bit of research I found out these trees get HUGE. Has anyone here planted them in your tree plots for deer ?. If so how do the antonovka apple trees rate ?

Each Antonovka will be unique as they're seedlings.

What is the benefit of Antonovka over other varieties?

I planted a bunch for deer and use them as rootstock for the grafting I do. They are extremely winter hardy and get very large and can live longer than any of us. As mentioned, the apples can vary since they are seedlings, but they are low cost options if you need to fill in some empty space. I typically pay just a few bucks per tree from SLN.

I planted 17 of them on sandy, gravelly, sloped ground next to a food plot and all of them survived without watering them. However, because of the poor soil conditions, they have been growing very slowly for me. I have been cleft grafting onto the main leader at about 6' up once they get to be 1/4" in diameter at that elevation.

They are planted next to a stream, about ten feet above the water table level. I keep hoping they will develop tap roots that reach down that deep and start growing vigorously, but so far after 13 years, they are still just limping along.

They are simply a very hardy standard sized russian apple tree often used as rootstock, their appeal is their hardiness not so much there flavor but for their regular bearing and cold hardiness. A tart baking apple that some people like for fresh eating. Most of us have a few failed grafted trees that revert back to their root stock base and have just let them be as they produce as well as any other apple tree.... variety is the spice of life when it comes to apple trees. I would not go and buy one and pay a premium price. Just buy some root stock at a few bucks a tree and plant.

One of mine was extremely susceptible to CAR. I think they are seedlings so expect variability.

It had a large yellow apple, but died back. I put Norkent on it this year. I might have Martha on another one, but I need to check the tag.

With the drought, I have seen very little CAR this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each Antonovka will be unique as they're seedlings.
I don't know.....I did a quick search online and found several sources that state Antonovka apples provide a crop of large, delicious apples in a few years. Growing from seed takes longer. However, the tree grows true to seed, meaning it will be the same as the tree from which the seed was obtained.

I don't know.....I did a quick search online and found several sources that state Antonovka apples provide a crop of large, delicious apples in a few years. Growing from seed takes longer. However, the tree grows true to seed, meaning it will be the same as the tree from which the seed was obtained.
I think a more accurate statement would be “somewhat true to seed”. They say the same thing about Dolgo and look at how much variety Sandbur has experienced in his seedlings. I ordered Antonovka seeds from a reputable company to plant for rootstock 3 years ago. I will graft with them this coming spring. But you can no doubt tell there’s some difference looking at the variations in the leaf patterns between trees.

‘Grows true to seed’ might vary with the pollen sources available in that environment.

An isolated block of dolgo or Anty might be more true to seed than a single tree of each surrounded by other apple trees.

There will still be some variation from even the block of dolgos or Anty.
The red stemmed dolgos I planted are supposedly from seed in a block of dolgos.

I am getting into areas I don’t understand and should just shut up, but I would guess there are suppressed or recessive genes in them that are expressed in a few seedlings. I know a bit more about cattle genetics and shouldn’t be expanding that knowledge to fruit trees,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Antonovka trees don't show anywhere near the range of variation that my Dolgo seedling trees do, but my Antonovkas are not identical to each other.

The only apple tree that I have read about that does reproduce identical trees from seed is supposedly a particular variety grown for standard rootstock in Germany, the name of which escapes me. The articles said (using Google Translate) that the reason that variety doesn't cross-pollinate with any other variety is that it blooms so darn late in the spring that there are no other varieties that have any blossoms left on them anymore by the time it blooms.

I have a few Antonovka that are in their 3rd year. They were about 6" tall when I got them and are pushing 5-6 feet now with little attention. They're supposed to drop late, which is why I bought them.

I bought 15 of them from Raintree nursery this spring for idk $35 maybe and grafted some of them and will top work them to other verities later on after they get a little larger.

Have a few Antonovka started as rootstock seedlings that just never did anything with and let grow. One finally bloomed after 7 yrs. Will see what it does and probably just leave it be. Have plenty other grafted trees in that area.

As a contrast the Ranetka rootstock seedlings that were left to grow started to bloom after 3 or 4 yrs. As seedlings the Ranetka all have different ripening and drop times but generally are 1" to 1-1/2" in size. Expect the Antonovka to be more apple sized.

Next time I order root stock it will likely be Dolgo or Ranetka.

They say hewes grows true to seed. It was used as rootstock in the 1700 and 1800's.

Whitetail crabs sells a ghost apple they call a russian tree. Im guessing it's a grafted anty with good characteristics.

Got trascendent, common wild apple, american crab, and dolgo from Willis orchards in the nursery. I'll see what they do in a few years.