Another Plant ID.

JackTerp

5 year old buck +
I have always called these ''brambles". It is a low growing briar that sets roots every time the leader touches the ground. I have seen no evidence of browsing. I have never seen any kind of flower, fruit or seed. I have not been able to eliminate it from my plots and it seems to be getting worse. If I could ID it, maybe I could find a better herbicide to get rid of it.

IMG_0874.jpeg

IMG_0874.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpeg
    IMG_0873.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 10
Not sure what it is, I would think repeated mowing would take care of it, maybe even a spot spray of gly. Cut the bottom out of a 5 gal bucket and spray inside the bucket to keep collateral damage to a minimum.

If it's low growing and is kind of a vine tangle among other ground plants, chances are it's dewberry. It's related to the blackberry. We have it at my camp and some years it seems to have a bumper crop of berries and other years you have to look to find any. ( late frost nail blossoms? ) They can get so thick they'll trip you when walking thru them if you don't lift your feet. They ripen in August and you can find a few stragglers into the first of Sept. They are just like a blackberry in taste and are great to eat! Critters love 'em too. If you have bears around, they'll lay right down in them and gorge themselves. Never saw deer browse any here - too thorny.