Another "Guess the Age".

Tap

5 year old buck +
This one may fool you.
He definately looked older in real-time than he does in the pic that was taken less than 5 seconds before I shot him. The pics don't do justice to his rack either. Not that he's a book class, but he's nicer than the pics.
I got the results back from Deer Age on the incisor analysis, so I have a laboratory estimate of his age.
The purpose of this thread is to shed light on how much a photo can fool you.
I'd never seen or photographed this deer before. When I 1st saw him, I guessed he was 3.5. When I found him, I still believed he was 3.5. But when I reviewed some of these pics of him on-the-hoof, I'd never guess he was 3.5. More like 2. At least that's what his face looks like... a very young face.

What's your guess?

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 8.57.18 AM.jpg 20161107_102034.jpg 20161112_132501_1480702163101_resized.jpg

Cool buck. His face looks young, but his body doesn't. His rack isn't huge, but it doesn't really look like what I would expect from a young buck. It almost looks like a rack from a buck that is old and on the decline in the antlers department. I'll guess 6.5 years old.

Deer Age says he's 3.5, but when I look at his face and hardly any tarsal staining for November, I see 2.5. Tooth wear suggests 3.5 and the lab confirms that.
Photos can be deceiving.

I would have guessed 2.5 also. Sometimes thier tough.

Heres the one I harvested this year and just received the test back from deeragebig9-3.jpg big9-3.jpg big9-4.jpg big9-4.jpg

Buckdeer1 what state is that buck from? My first guess on age would be 4.5.

3.5yo

4.5 148 gross

Okay buckdeer1, what did the lab say?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The lab said 5.5 or older.
Well, that's my bet.

they said 5.5