Albert Etter - apple breeder & Sweetmeat Crabs

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Here is a site that talks about Albert Etter and this nursery handles some of his crab apples. www.greenmantlenursery.com

Check out the details of their various crab apples. I have no affiliation with them. Just info sharing.

I caution the use of this nursery only from what I've heard. I'm applebacon on this forum here and my call to 2 them a few years ago was 'he only does bench grafts'. https://growingfruit.org/t/greenmantle-nursery/9285/14

Which is great if your doing it at home yourself but theres concern to me when shipping a freshly grafted specimen.

I have Wickson & Pink Pearl of his though (Etter that is).

In addition to Wickson and Pink Pearl, I have some young Crimson Gold, which is said to be similar to Wickson, but ripens later.

Thanks, BV, for the heads-up on the nursery. I haven't had any business dealings with them - just had the site saved for info purposes. Someone on another thread mentioned Crimson Gold as a crab apple by Etter. It's also a NEW scab resistant variety of regular apple sold by ACN - "Crimson Gold". That one is listed as a Svatava cultivar. One's a long-established crab, and the other is a new DR variety apple ………. both with the same name.

I have a young crimson gold from ACN

^^^^ How's it doing Charman ??

Looked to get some CAR but only planted it last spring.

For the Albert Etter fans, attached is a link to an interesting presentation on his legacy. It's somewhat long, but it includes a short film clip of Ettersville in the 1930's (as well as his two legged dog) at about the 34 min mark.

Etter's life history caught my attention several years ago. He lived an extremely interesting life. I'm growing Pink Pearl, Katherine, Etter's Gold, Wickson, Crimson Gold, and Rubaiyat. Another year or two and I hope to taste these varieties.

I'll be adding Vixen, Atalanta's Gold and Muscat De Venus this Spring. Crimson Gold is an outstanding eater that's on the small side (about 2 inches) and ripens in early November.