After cages?

Catscratch

5 year old buck +
Very certain deer will rub any tree I leave uncaged. But... I have several trees that have outgrown my big cages so I want to repurpose those cages. What do you guys put around bigger trees? Just a smaller cage that's barely bigger than the trunk?

Besides the deer, keep the voles n rabbits in mind too. Some trees could use a fewmore years to put some thicker older dry bark ontop. Some folks paint the trunk as an option too.

Some folks plant a social tree. something the deer can feel free to rub and scent up.

Far as prtoection from rubs. # pots and a bit of fencing wire should do the trick. I've had little trouble with deer rubbing what trees I had. Most of them were in the open too much for a bucks likinng.

^^^ I use windowscreen and paint to protect from the little critters. Current cages are 5' diameter. Ready to use those big cages on something else but don't want to leave the trees open to attack from big critters. I assume I need to just move to smaller cages that are just bigger than the trunk but looking for other ideas too.

I'm at the same point. Need to use the big concrete remesh cages for new trees because I'm not buying anymore at these reset prices. Thinking make a small diameter cage just a few inches bigger than the diameter of the trunk (I'm talking fruit trees here) of woven wire mesh/cloth. If someone told me there's still a risk of an established tree getting rubbed and killed by going this route then I'd shy away and go a different route.

Last edited:
If someone told me there's still a risk of an established tree getting rubbed and killed by going this route then I'd shy away and go a different route.
Bingo!

I generally don’t see trees in excess of 8” dbh get rubbed how large of trees are we talking about here?

I generally don’t see trees in excess of 8” dbh get rubbed how large of trees are we talking about here?
Not 8" big. We get rubs on 10 inch trees at times. It doesn't really matter though as I'm confident any tree I want to keep will be rubbed!

Use 1/4" wire mesh about 6"+ diameter for older trees. It does not have to be removed in the summer unless you need to prune unwanted growth off.

Not 8" big. We get rubs on 10 inch trees at times. It doesn't really matter though as I'm confident any tree I want to keep will be rubbed!

I think they do that because somehow they know it will piss you off! I've planted 1000's of live stake cuttings over the years and they really worked them over.

I use the 2x4 wire that I had for first cage but make it around 6 inches bigger all the way around than trunk

When my trees get a decent size I use the cage for a new tree and then make a cage just a bit bigger than the trunk so it doesn’t get rubbed. Has worked for me with no issues.

If my trees ever get big enough, I am thinking about using HVAC duct to maybe discourage the coons and possums - and deer

Today I converted a large cage into 3 small cages. Stuck them on sawtooths as my experiment. Just can't bring myself to try it on one of my older fruit trees. Won't care as much if an oak get rubbed up some.

I have never had a oak rubbed after putting a small cage on.i did have 2 cages ripped of fruit trees this year and one was my most promising crab apple in that orchard.I keep cages on all my fruit trees.I had a mature apple tree last year that was probably 8-10 inches across and thought it was safe.Well a buck showed up with around 8 inch brows and he like to rip trees up with them.He got put on the list.The apple tree is healing nicely and he is now a euro mount.

I have about 30 apple trees in NW Wisconsin most are between 3-9 years old. I would love to pull the bigger cages off and put smaller ones on, but I am afraid what bear will do to them.

I'm glad I don't have bears and can't blame you a bit

This is on a 6 year old pear. Taken this week. Apparently I need to keep the mesh a little higher lol

Attachments

• PXL_20221125_151635724.jpg
    PXL_20221125_151635724.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 27
In the same situation! I bought some cheaper 5’ wire mesh with the 2”x3” squares and will be making smaller cages to go around my 5/6 yr old trees and repurpose the larger diameter Remesh cages for my 1-2 yr old grafted trees.

Another bonus going to smaller cages, the apples can be freely eaten vs fall inside the cage which most deer can still eventually get to with some pushing on the cage but not ideal.