Adding Winter Rye into a plot ?

Belchertown Bowman

5 year old buck +
Most of the plots will get a top coat of winter rye in about a month.

So Mikmaze you said the above on another thread,..

Are you saying you put winter rye into your clover plots? I have noticed my clover dies back mid November here in New England. Is that a way of extending a clover plots tastiness for the deer ? I am new to all this so sorry if that seems like a silly ?

So even in my brassica plots,.. put a layer of winter rye in?

Can anyone elaborate the ins and outs of this,.. Thanks

I add winter rye into all my plots in the fall. The winter rye grows longer then everything else, so when the initial crop stops growing, or slows way down, the winter rye is still green, and growing. Then in the early spring, the winter rye starts growing before everything else, and feeds the deer in the spring. Then about the middle of July, it is 5 feet tall, and falls over on its own, or you can just run over it with an atv, or what ever and it just falls to the ground for good ground cover, OM. In most winters if there is 6 inches or more of snow on the ground the winter rye will stay green under the snow. Extreme cold, and no snow cover will make it brown, until spring.

The down sides to it, it gets 4-5 feet tall in June, early July, so if you are planning on planting something in spring, or mid summer, then you will have to deal with 4-5 foot tall winter rye. If you arent planting anything in it until fall, I just let it fall down on its own.

Are you saying you put winter rye into your clover plots? I have noticed my clover dies back mid November here in New England. Is that a way of extending a clover plots tastiness for the deer ? I am new to all this so sorry if that seems like a silly ?

If you're in Belchertown, MA I'm only about an hour away from you. Here in the northwest Berkshires clover goes dormant even earlier. By the end of Sept. and early October our clover is done. Not sure what Mikemaze's management goals are, but yes, winter rye will stay green until very late in the season. Even when covered by snow the deer will dig down through several inches to get at it. Adding some rye to a brassicas plot will ensure that you always have something green growing in that plot, especially in the spring when the brassicas have all rotted and you want to avoid a muddy mess. Classic cover crop.

Not sure about adding rye to a clover plot though? Usually it's the other way around...adding some clover to a newly planted rye plot in the fall so as to establish a nice perennial clover plot the following spring when you terminate the rye...using the rye as a nurse crop for the clover.

In a perfect world, you have the best of it all and do something like a Lick Creek rotation...a plot that is roughly 10% clover, 45% rye or something similar, and 45% in brassicas and their ilk, and then rotate the brassicas and rye each year.

Look up Lick Creek, grab some beer, and spend hours reading those threads. Tons of excellent info.

I top coat most of my plots with a cereal grain. It's cheap, grows anywhere it makes soil contact, and is green and tasty all winter.

Yes Natty,..

Belchertown Mass,.. Quabbin Land! LOL

Thank you folks I will experiment with this ideal on the lite side this year.

I currently split my plots with WTI clover and a brassica mix. I will try a lite dab of winter rye as an experiment this year. I currently run 3 plots located on private land (not my own land) and will check this out.

What planting date? and is all winter rye the same? Anything else I need to know to pull this off correctly?

I learned not all clover is the same so what about winter rye,.. ? Suggestions or just grab some at Tractor Supply?

Yes Natty,..

Belchertown Mass,.. Quabbin Land! LOL

Thank you folks I will experiment with this ideal on the lite side this year.

I currently split my plots with WTI clover and a brassica mix. I will try a lite dab of winter rye as an experiment this year. I currently run 3 plots located on private land (not my own land) and will check this out.

What planting date? and is all winter rye the same? Anything else I need to know to pull this off correctly?

I learned not all clover is the same so what about winter rye,.. ? Suggestions or just grab some at Tractor Supply?
I plant my cereal grains around labor day weekend so anytime now should work, rye will germinate down to the mid 30's. Make sure you get cereal rye and not rye grass.

I usually plant 100 pounds per acre with my regular crop. Which is a little on the heavy side, but the reason I do that is to keep weeds down the following spring/summer, since I dont plant spring plots, and just let the wr be the spring plot. If you want to go light, I would put about 50-60 per acre, and I agree with Labor Day, but now is good as well.

Enjoy the reading in the link below ...

Lick Creek - Cereal Grains