acorns growing already?

hunts_with_stick

5 year old buck +
So I just went and got a bunch of acorns (western pa) that are dropping from a white oak, and there are a ton that are sprouting already! Is it safe to plant them or will they die once the weather gets colder? So much for stratification I guess!

It' normal for white oaks. Plant or protect them.
Is that small "w" white? So including Swamp White and Bur?

Also, does a sprouting acorn signify higher viability than an acorn from the same tree that is not sprouting? I just harvested dozens of acorn from a single tree and only 1-2 were sprouting.

Safe to plant at this time ... I'd put a 2' X 2' - or larger piece of hardware cloth (1/4 or 1/2" size) over each planting held down by landscape staples (you can make them out of coat hangers). Work the soil 6-8" deep in a 2' diameter and plant two acorns (18 inches apart, two inches deep with the radical pointed down) in each location (cull/transplant the weakest/least robust grower in 18 months). You will not likely see an above ground seedling until next spring since all the growth effort will be centered on establishing a tap root this fall (for whatever its worth, I prefer fall planting for thiis reason). Since I don't expect above ground growth until next spring, I cover the planting with a heavy layer of mulch (straw will work but wood chips are better (IMO) ... 6-8 inches of chips won't hurt and it insulates the developing acorn for growth late into the fall .... be sure to remove most of the mulch very early next spring (as soon as the ground thaws). If you try this method, I'm sure you will like the result! Good luck!

Joe F ... any member of the white oak family can be planted in the fall ... straight/regular white oaks - in general - tend to mature ahead of SWO or most bur oaks; consequently, it is not uncommon to see them germinate soon after dropping ... especially if they have a warm moist environment (often sprout laying on the ground after a period of rainy weather).

Last edited:
Thanks! That's great news, I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks OakSeeds. I've already planted a round at my farm using your method as read on this forum. Looking forward to doing more tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210924_104846.jpg
    20210924_104846.jpg
    625.7 KB · Views: 26
Thanks OakSeeds. I've already planted a round at my farm using your method as read on this forum. Looking forward to doing more tomorrow.
Extremely nice work my friend, extremely nice work! One other thing ... be sure to "water-in" all newly planted acorns (or root balls on transplants) since you need to make sure you get soil-to-radical (or root) contact. If the radical/roots dry out, it will likely be toast for the tree.

The squirrels have been "planting them" all over lately, I bet they come up.. :emoji_wink:

This is what I use you can cover a lot of ground fast with one of these things. Pull a couple plugs then start flipping it over and the next plug will drop out the top. Works well for acorns at 2” and walnuts at 4”.

timely thread

I drove around town today and harvested live oak and chinkapin oak acorns from shopping center lot trees

Live oak acorns were sprouting radicles while still on the tree

bill

If the radicle turns black, are there any issues with that? I just received some and am worried about many of the acorns

Black radicle has been 'air-pruned'... most, if planted, will develop a more lateralized root system earlier than they would have otherwise. Depending on how much is dried up, some may struggle, but I'd bet most will be fine.
Bur oak, overcup, and an overcupXSWO hybrid I have, usually all wait til spring, whether in the fridge or lying on the ground, to sprout radicles. White (alba) and chinkapin, not so much.

Just a FYI - here in Pa. I've seen white oak acorns and chestnut oak acorns already pushing their root radicles into the soil in mid-to-late October. If nature does it that way, I think it's safe to assume the timing is right for planting ........ at least for members of the white oak family. Been seeing this for years.

Here's a great YouTube video (about 12 minutes long) that is VERY detailed about oaks all across the country. White oaks have little to no tannin so they cannot last through a cold stratification. They have a crop annually and they start to sprout soon after they fall. Tannin is what makes acorns bitter and why the white are preferred by animals. Red have higher levels of tannin that allow them not to rot over the winter and they sprout the following year. I'm not expert - I just recently watched this:

https://youtu.be/FIKGm4VSKDQ

35-acre said, " they cannot last through a cold stratification." ... I respectfully disagree with this statement; you can use a variety of mediums - including damp paper towels in plastic sandwich bags and stored in the crisper of your fridge. A few may germinate before next spring; however most will not shoot a radical until taken from cold storage and placed in a warm environment. Any that germinate will very likely not have a radical longer than an inch or three, and if sufficient moisture remains available, the radical will remain fresh (nice and white) and ready for planting in early spring.
Your absolute statement might cause some folks to conclude all white oak acorns must be planted in the fall.

I absolutely agree with what OakSeeds said. I keep white oak acorns in the fridge every year. If I get them in there quickly, they generally won't germinate over winter.

35-acre said, " they cannot last through a cold stratification." ... I respectfully disagree with this statement; you can use a variety of mediums - including damp paper towels in plastic sandwich bags and stored in the crisper of your fridge. A few may germinate before next spring; however most will not shoot a radical until taken from cold storage and placed in a warm environment. Any that germinate will very likely not have a radical longer than an inch or three, and if sufficient moisture remains available, the radical will remain fresh (nice and white) and ready for planting in early spring.
Your absolute statement might cause some folks to conclude all white oak acorns must be planted in the fall.

Aside from cages being better than tubes, there are very few "absolutes" in habitat management

bill

I guess I should have been more precise. They cannot... In the wild.