? about my chestnut tree

j-bird

I have a question about my chestnut tree. I planted these last year (3 gallon dunstan's) and they seemed to pull thru the winter fine - but I was not sure what to think of this? I have 3 trees and only 1 had this on it. I am thinking this is some sort of "flower" - is it? Do they require other trees to pollinate?
chestnut.jpg

I think those are called catkins.

Yep smell them smells good lol

I just didn't expect any of these trees to be old enough or established enough to even try to produce. I have seen catkins on other trees before - these just looked a little different - but I am not familiar with chestnut trees either. Has anyone else had there trees try to produce after being in a container and in the ground only over winter???

I just didn't expect any of these trees to be old enough or established enough to even try to produce. I have seen catkins on other trees before - these just looked a little different - but I am not familiar with chestnut trees either. Has anyone else had there trees try to produce after being in a container and in the ground only over winter???
Yes! One of my Dunstans produced 1 loan nut last fall. It was a 3gallon container wal wart tree with 1 yr in the ground. It's 4th leaf this year be interesting to see what it does

Mine didn't have any this year

Jordan

Have you checked them? They should already have the catkins and small burs on them for this year

I noticed lots of catkins but no burs. Then again I didn't look real close (busy getting summer plots in.) I'm headed down this Weekend so will check an get some pics. Overall I have been impressed with the chestnut hill trees

Well, by chance I was at my local Rural King (farm supply retailer) this evening (after my mineral blocks and a bolt/shear pin for my rotary mower)- and guess what? Not only did they have dunstan chestnuts, but they had them on clearance!!! These are normally $30 per. I paid $10.50 each!!!! I could only find three but I latched on to those quickly! I looked like a fool walking thru the store with 3 trees in my cart, but I didn't care. Trees are 4 to 5 feet tall and appear to be in good health. I didn't waste any time getting them into the ground either. Got home - resolved an issue with the stove (my wife and the stove don't get along) and off to my orchard I went. We have been getting lots of rain and expecting more all week. I will add weed barrier and stone over the weekend along with some small wire mesh for the trunks. Turns out even a red-neck can appreciate a good sale!:D
new chestnuts.jpg

Jordan and JBird,
Many updates on your chestnuts? Photos?

One of the new ones didn't make it :( I planted them on a slope and I think the lowest one got drowned out with all the rain I had this summer. I haven't pulled it out in some remote chance that it bounces back this spring. The other 2 appear to be doing fine - no watering this year! Haven't really looked at the three I have that I planted last year. They are fine from a distance from what I have seen but I have not looked for signs of any mast just yet. I would be really surprised if they got to that point (just went in the ground last year).

When I'm out over the weekend I take a peak and see. I have been watching for signs of what the oak mast will look like, but nothing so far. I'm hoping my white oak produces again this year - I got a nice early spot all picked out, but will be useless if it doesn't produce.

I saw some of Dunstan trees this weekend at the local Agway. They had reduced the price from $33 to $29...plenty available.

Jordan and JBird, Many updates on your chestnuts? Photos?

Mine are looking good! My best tree has 6 burrs on it. I'm headed to the farm early in the morning to pull cam cards. I will get some pics. I have never been so excited!!!! It's tough to get away with 3 little ones and the landscaping bis running full steam ahead!!! I need some Jordan time lol
Plan to start a couple woodland hidey hole plots tomorrow as well

Last edited:
Here is one of my wal mart 3gal dunstans
Second year in the ground. It has 6 burrs. Hope they got pollinated
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Wow Jordan those look great. Hope mine look that good in that amount of time. I planted 3 last summer and then 3 others this spring. I'll check mine over when I get home - back in Dexter MO for a few days on business right now. PS - NEVER stop in Cairo, IL on I-57 for gas!!

Well I checked mine tonight and no sign of mast this year. I figured it was too soon, but I looked anyway. I did however see acorns growing on my chinkapin and white oaks. That means I will have to set up my early archery stand!!!!

Well I checked mine tonight and no sign of mast this year. I figured it was too soon, but I looked anyway. I did however see acorns growing on my chinkapin and white oaks. That means I will have to set up my early archery stand!!!!

are these chinks an whites trees you planted J or natives?

are these chinks an whites trees you planted J or natives?
Natives. I just started screwing with growing and planting acorns a year ago or so. I was simply commenting on some other mast related observations. I have 1 mature white oak on my place and both the deer and I know it so when it produces I take notice - typically its a race between the deer eating them all and the start of my archery season. Typically the chinks produce but too early for hunting. One of these days I'll have some chestnuts!