AA Trail cam batteries

White Oak

5 year old buck +
What AA batteries seem to last the longest in your trail cams and who has the lowest price ?. I've bought bulk Energizer Industrial batteries in 72 packs from shades_of_gold8.6 on Ebay usually they are pretty good , I think last year I got a couple of duds in the batch, I guess it's bound to happen. I suppose the smart thing to do , would be to check each battery before installing them in my cameras, but when you got a dozen or more cameras, nobody's got time for that lol. If I'm buying local ,Home Depot has 36 packs of Energizers for $16.98 not too bad.....I only run video in two cameras , in those I spring for the Energizer Lithiums $12.98 for a 8 pack at Home Depot.

I run Energizer Lithiums in all of my cameras. They last a lot longer, and no worries of a battery leaking down and wrecking your camera. They also work much better in the cold. When it is -40 degrees, my lithium batteries never shut down, unlike what regular batteries would do. It is a pain when you run cell cams, and your cameras are 200 miles away, and it is -20 or colder, and a couple deer stand in front of the camera for more then a few pictures, and your camera shuts off because of low voltage, then you have to drive back there to shut the camera off, a turn it back on. Never had to do that with Lithium batteries.

I use Duracell, only because I found out that the battery meter on some of my cameras don't read the lithiums properly. It'll say they're getting weak when they really aren't. I only take videos and no pictures and have to change my batteries about three times a year. The lithiums are way better in the cold weather as stated above.

I run Energizer Lithiums in all of my cameras. They last a lot longer, and no worries of a battery leaking down and wrecking your camera. They also work much better in the cold. When it is -40 degrees, my lithium batteries never shut down, unlike what regular batteries would do. It is a pain when you run cell cams, and your cameras are 200 miles away, and it is -20 or colder, and a couple deer stand in front of the camera for more then a few pictures, and your camera shuts off because of low voltage, then you have to drive back there to shut the camera off, a turn it back on. Never had to do that with Lithium batteries.
Good Lord I grew I'm in NJ and did lots of Icefishing BUT it never got as cold as where you are !. I'm now in virginia zone 7 , I just looked up the "Average low" for my County it said 25 degrees at night in January and 0.3 days annually when the nighttime low temperature falls below zero° So for regular pictures regular AA batteries are probably good enough and I have got close to a year on them with certain brand cameras.....Covert and Bushnell Cams have gave me the longets battery life.

Lithium are longest lasting and safest in cam as has been covered. I order energizer lithiums from amazon as its the cheapest place ive found them. There is a downside of not knowing how much battery life they have but I generally know how long they should last and end up swapping them with some juice left if I'm worried about them being down. I.E. all of my cameras have gotten fresh batteries within the last few weeks whether they were about to die or not and I expect them to last through hunting season.

Last edited:
Energizer Liths here too. I see Amazon has 24 for $30 right now. A few of the reviews say they come in different packaging and seemed nearly dead, possibly a fake. Any experiences?

I get 40 packs of amazon brand for about $14 for my cheaper cameras. They're not the best, I'd compare them to a regular store brand battery. I bought a lot of energizers once off of ebay and I'm not sure how many duds there were but there were a lot. I have a nice browning dark ops that I put good batteries in. It won't take night pics if I put cheap batteries in it.

Energizer Liths here too. I see Amazon has 24 for $30 right now. A few of the reviews say they come in different packaging and seemed nearly dead, possibly a fake. Any experiences?

edit to correct my poor advice: I’ve been burned by the Amazon energizer lithium 24 packs having duds or very low capacity. Buyer beware. Sucks because they were considerably cheaper than anywhere else I could find them and cell cams use a lot of batteries! Sorry @Mortenson and anyone else I misled!

Last edited:
+1 for Energizer Lithium. Not using lithium batteries thru the winter months can permanently damage a game camera.

I have bought hundreds of energizer lithiums from amazon by picking the cheapest per battery option they have. Never had an issue but I wouldn't doubt that people have had problems.
Good to know. I just ordered the 24 pack after reading your post.

There's a lot of assumption I'm going to make. I have a calculator and the Internet and I'm not afraid to use them! Don't ask me where or how, but one time I figured the cost of a lithium vs a regular alkaline. Assumptions, assumptions. I ciphered they are both about the same cost on a "days-of-use" basis. But how they behave over time is different. I read (and believe because it's in the "on-line") alkaline voltage (?) output declines over it's useful life while a lithium will hold steady and then quit suddenly. I don't know. True or false? If true it has implications for capturing night pictures and in cold weather.

I always check my batteries before I put them in the camera. I learn, but I learn the hard way. I have a tester and a multimeter and I really don't know how to use either one, but that doesn't stop me. I never found any difference in fresh output using one device or another, but, again, memory is a tricky thing. Here's the weird thing - and its happened only a couple times. I've found a couple batteries where the polarity is mixed up. Yes, the knob and the label said +, but my multimeter said, nope. Maybe it was a breach birth. Or maybe it was Coors Light.

This is one of the posts I do because my qualification is I stayed at a Motel-6 one night.

More than probably most care to read on trail camera batteries..

+1 for Energizer Lithium. Not using lithium batteries thru the winter months can permanently damage a game camera.
Never experienced this, how could this be a possibility? Obviously a game camera should be manufactured with winter use in mind?

There's a lot of assumption I'm going to make. I have a calculator and the Internet and I'm not afraid to use them! Don't ask me where or how, but one time I figured the cost of a lithium vs a regular alkaline. Assumptions, assumptions. I ciphered they are both about the same cost on a "days-of-use" basis. But how they behave over time is different. I read (and believe because it's in the "on-line") alkaline voltage (?) output declines over it's useful life while a lithium will hold steady and then quit suddenly. I don't know. True or false? If true it has implications for capturing night pictures and in cold weather.

I always check my batteries before I put them in the camera. I learn, but I learn the hard way. I have a tester and a multimeter and I really don't know how to use either one, but that doesn't stop me. I never found any difference in fresh output using one device or another, but, again, memory is a tricky thing. Here's the weird thing - and its happened only a couple times. I've found a couple batteries where the polarity is mixed up. Yes, the knob and the label said +, but my multimeter said, nope. Maybe it was a breach birth. Or maybe it was Coors Light.

This is one of the posts I do because my qualification is I stayed at a Motel-6 one night.

PM'ing Bill( administrator) now

..........We need a Farmer Dan Forum on HT......A misanthrope corner

Your posts are priceless

bill

Never experienced this, how could this be a possibility? Obviously a game camera should be manufactured with winter use in mind?
Cold weather can cause alkaline batteries to burst and leak. If they die and are left in your camera, they are also prone to burst and leak from non use. I've had a couple cameras that had their battery tray turned to a mess from leaving cams out through the winter in northern MN. I cleaned up the all the corrosion but i'm not sure they ever regained full reliability.

Last edited:
Interesting....I might have had one experience some rust in the battery compartment.

Tractor supply batteries outperforms(lasts) them all....... for about 10 minutes......

bill

PM'ing Bill( administrator) now

..........We need a Farmer Dan Forum on HT......A misanthrope corner

Your posts are priceless

bill
That's a good one! Wait 'till I tell my estranged wife I am now considered a misanthrope! She may wish to reconcile as we now have something in common!

Send money....