A Good Calibration video for Great Plains / Land Pride or Genesis drills.

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
I was just surfing about you tube and ran into this well put together video on calibration. Thought I would share.

Glad to know I’m not the only one who doesn’t crank it 900 times.

Glad to know I’m not the only one who doesn’t crank it 900 times.
Yep, I don't do that either. (I'm holed-up at home recently due to my wife's recovery from some surgery.) I like "cliff notes" versions of doing this stuff.

I did a little math today and made a worksheet to make quick work of calibrating my New (to me) Great Plains 3P-500 drill. This same worksheet format could work for other widths too, but you need to do a little math to convert some of the data. Anyway.....thought I would show how easy this is when I use all seven drop tubes and catch the seeds in catch bins I locate under the openers. (I uses some of those Rubbermaid "under the bed" plastic storage tubs for this purpose.) No fooling around with tarps or plastic bags, etc. And as a bonus you can see if the seeds are dropping equally from the openers. Easy / Peasy / Real World stuff. (I tried to provide the actual document but could not do so....therefore the pics). I like to save my seed rates on these worksheets making it easy the next time a similar mix is used.

I got about 10 different odd sized, plots that I have calculated the acreage on. I"m going to compare the meter on the new drill to those plots as I plant this year.....and refine my acreage over time and record those plot sizes in a chart. This makes it easier to determine how much seed to mix for "x" number of plots to be seeded. Some of those plot sizes have been a moving target as they became developed.
tempImageXnULkm.jpg
tempImage6gIYLr.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure what your using for a scale but for the small seed I use a digital kitchen scale from Wally mart.

I bought a small battery powered scale that can weigh in grams, ounces or lbs. Got it at Amazon for about $12. The tare feature is also good. I use a plastic coffee can for my weigh pan. Works pretty slick.

I like having a known format and a worksheet like that shown. I dont have to think so much when doing this job. Eliminates some mis-calculations, etc.