A Couple of Apple Pics

greyphase

5 year old buck +
A Washed Russet apple from a B118 tree planted in 2014. I let 3 apples grow this year and this one was the biggest. Pretty "tart". As I get more apples off this tree in years to come I'll try it in pies & sauce.
020_zpswzwzsz3y.jpg

A Crazy Ed's Airport apple. Also a 2014 B118 tree. Don't know what the "bruises" are from. Reminds me of hail damage but we didn't have any storms. Another "tart" one. It was planted to be a late hanging wildlife apple.
9-24-16%20006_zps7dppybjp.jpg

9-24-16%20009_zpsgo1jkhh8.jpg

A Goldrush apple on a 2014 B118 tree. The only apple on this tree.
9-24-16%20018_zpspe8k68cl.jpg

Some Brushy Mountain Limbertwigs on a 2014 B118 tree. Haven't tried any of these yet. They are just starting to get a "blush" on them.
9-24-16%20017_zpse89zwhud.jpg

9-24-16%20014_zpsrqqlrkyo.jpg

All Winter Hangover crab. A nice sized pretty crab. This is an Antonovka tree planted in 2013 and held about half a dozen crabs this year.
011_zpsh03b3ltm.jpg

013_zps5k4l2jpl.jpg

Eastman Sweet apple. Now don't laugh :D but this was the 1st apple on this Antnovoka tree that was planted in 2008. Only got two little bites but what a surpise. Sweet & juicey little bugger. I'm hoping for more of these in the years to come.
9-22-16%20016_zpsc1meguv7.jpg

Tolman Sweet off of a Antonovka rootstock tree planted in 2008. I think I waited a little too long to pick as it was mealy tasting.
Apples%20amp%20Cochins%209-11-16%20001_zpsmfvnlaoh.jpg

A Galarina off of a 2014 B118 tree. Very tasty.
9-22-16%20008_zpskaawagvq.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

What a great looking bunch of apples! Ya done well Rick! Thanks for sharing.

I'm envious

X2 i could look at that kind of stuff all day long, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All looking good, Rick !! Thanks for sharing the pix. If it hangs on until the end of October, get ready for that Goldrush !! Excellent taste. The AWH crabs are tasty too !! I want to try adding a few to some home made sauce. :) Our Galarina's are too young for apples - maybe one next year ??

Very nice Rick, Is that all winter Hangover crab a sweet apple or mainly just a deer apple?

Very nice Rick, Is that all winter Hangover crab a sweet apple or mainly just a deer apple?

It's edible but there are better tasting crabs (just my opinion) like Centennial & Chestnut crab. I had my first Shafer crab this summer and it was very good.

Very nice!

Thanks for sharing!
I'm jealous as well!
What's the story on that all winter hang over crab!?

Thanks for sharing!
I'm jealous as well!
What's the story on that all winter hang over crab!?

It was planted in the spring of 2013 from St. Lawrence nursery on Antonovka rootstock. It has carried a half dozen or so apples on it the past two years. They haven't held on as long as the Winter Wildlife crab that I have from SLN but are bigger. It's shaping up into a nice crab.

X-2 with Grey. ^^^^ I planted our 1st All-Winter-Hangover crab spring 2013 like Grey did. It's from SLN too ( I think it's a proprietary variety for them ), and is about 12 ft. tall now. Last year and this one it's had about 40 to 50 apples on it. It gets sun for about 8 to 10 hours / day. It's getting more wood than I expected for this short time span. It has great shape and is probably our best looking tree. We have 2 more AWH planted and I'll get more for the spring - even though we're running out of room !! Love the AWH.