9 CWD Commenters We Can Ignore

Tamarack

5 year old buck +
Notice the mocking tone and name-calling etc from Lindsay here. If it all sounds familiar....yep, he's a Lefty. They seem to be taking over the org. Hate to make it political but that's where he went, and goes. And then he never has real answers to those who question things. on Facebook for example. Me? I believe CWD is real. I just don't see what they're doing is helping much..can even be hurting. And he and others are constantly pushing for more bills, more agencies..and more....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Notice the mocking tone and name-calling etc from Lindsay here. If it all sounds familiar....yep, he's a Lefty. They seem to be taking over the org. Hate to make it political but that's where he went, and goes. And then he never has real answers to those who question things. on Facebook for example. Me? I believe CWD is real. I just don't see what they're doing is helping much..can even be hurting. And he and others are constantly pushing for more bills, more agencies..and more....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They have a label for those that don't agree so the lesser minded can skip the debate and just attack you.

Stay emotional.
Don't think.
Just attack.

I read that this morning too. I just laughed to myself and closed the window.

I removed my facebook app from my phone to avoid wasting unnecessary time there but the comments don't seem to show up on web browser version.

Like many things, i can't help but feeling lost in the whole CWD debate somewhere between Don Higgins saying "it's a political disease" and others taking the "lets kill all the deer to stop the spread" route. I would like to see some more data behind the claims that people are pursuing CWD fear mongering for financial benefit.

I removed my facebook app from my phone to avoid wasting unnecessary time there but the comments don't seem to show up on web browser version.

Like many things, i can't help but feeling lost in the whole CWD debate somewhere between Don Higgins saying "it's a political disease" and others taking the "lets kill all the deer to stop the spread" route. I would like to see some more data behind the claims that people are pursuing CWD fear mongering for financial benefit.

I don't Facebook myself, but can see the posts and replies. May be a browser issue.
When I copy and paste the Facebook link here it takes you to the article. When I paste it in my browser it takes me to the Facebook discussion.
Should be able to just scroll down to it from the Facebook link above.

Last edited:
I just read the comments to his article. Perfect.

Lindsay does overlook the fact that quite a few of the top private PHD wildlife biologist in the country have a differing view on the concerns of CWD. But, then again, he is a magazine writer and he may know best.
On a more positive note , there seems to be some encouraging research around soil attributes as well as copper that effect CWD.

Didn’t one of the Carolinas just have it’s first case? I imagine it makes it hard for NDA to continue their management strategy when mature deer tend to have higher rates.

I gave up on them before they closed the forum we had used for so many years. They also no longer have my membership after belonging for over 20 years.

For those who weren’t around in the QDMA forum years, it got where forum members were much more knowledgeable on habitat than QDMA or the information in their magazine. Just my opinion, but I tend to have a sour taste in my mouth for all Deer organizations. Local groups are the best!

Enough politics, time to move on.

Sorry if I offended the moderators or broke any forum rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our state has had 3 pt on a side antler restriction for 25 yrs. Most private land hunters have embraced hunting for mature deer. Bucks are the first thing to be targeted. We can have one incidence of cwd in a county - and that county and every surrounding county is subjected to relaxed harvest restrictions. No antler restrictions and button bucks dont count as a buck - so you could kill two antlered bucks and three button bucks. 25 years of quality deer management out the window overnight. Our quality deer hunting will go the way of our turkeys, rabbits, quail, and ducks. Thank goodness for hogs

Our state has had 3 pt on a side antler restriction for 25 yrs. Most private land hunters have embraced hunting for mature deer. Bucks are the first thing to be targeted. We can have one incidence of cwd in a county - and that county and every surrounding county is subjected to relaxed harvest restrictions. No antler restrictions and button bucks dont count as a buck - so you could kill two antlered bucks and three button bucks. 25 years of quality deer management out the window overnight. Our quality deer hunting will go the way of our turkeys, rabbits, quail, and ducks. Thank goodness for hogs
Same here in Minnesota.

I know this is totally unrelated to the point of this thread but you mention the demise of turkeys in your area. I was tooling around with a biologist buddy the other day and he told me recent research is showing corn left on the ground in warmer weather for even a week starts to develop aflatoxin and is believed to be causing bird mortality .He believes there may be a correlation between dwindling turkey populations and the increased feeding of corn year round for deer. Any thoughts?

Reactions: 356
I know this is totally unrelated to the point of this thread but you mention the demise of turkeys in your area. I was tooling around with a biologist buddy the other day and he told me recent research is showing corn left on the ground in warmer weather for even a week starts to develop aflatoxin and is believed to be causing bird mortality .He believes there may be a correlation between dwindling turkey populations and the increased feeding of corn year round for deer. Any thoughts?
I read all the talk about aflatoxin and corn. I dont know what the true response is, but if corn laying on the ground for a week starts developing aflatoxin, would it not do the same if were laying in a harvested corn field or under a feeder? I promise, no corn on my ground lays there for a week. Most isnt there more than 12 hours.

There are all these theories about the decline of the turkey population from aflatoxin to early spring harvest of gobblers - yet almost every study in the south points to lack of nesting success due to predation. It is like they dont want to admit what the real problem is.