706NT with a Compact Tractor?

Barker

A good 3 year old buck
The county has a 706NT I was wanting to try out this year but was wondering if a Yanmar YT359 can do the job? It's a little over 4,000lbs, 4wd, and 59hp. I'm planting nwsg and beans across 15 acres, fairly flat land. Anyone have experience with this size of drill on a compact tractor?

The county has a 706NT I was wanting to try out this year but was wondering if a Yanmar YT359 can do the job? It's a little over 4,000lbs, 4wd, and 59hp. I'm planting nwsg and beans across 15 acres, fairly flat land. Anyone have experience with this size of drill on a compact tractor?
Is it on wheels or 3pt lifted? On wheels and flat ground maybe. Otherwise too big.

I have Kubota mx5400 that’s 58 hp and a 3p600. It’s 2200lbs loaded and does fine but your drill would be a good bit heavier.

Is it on wheels or 3pt lifted? On wheels and flat ground maybe. Otherwise too big.

I have Kubota mx5400 that’s 58 hp and a 3p600. It’s 2200lbs loaded and does fine but your drill would be a good bit heavier.
On wheels

I'm doing the same thing with our soil conservation district ..I have it booked for first of June and the last of august to start the Buffalo System of 24/7/365 ground cover to thwart river erosion ..I will be pulling it with a John Deere 5045E which is a 45HP tractor that weighs 5100 lbs plus a frontend loader ..it does have traditional tractor tires with fluid ...
You don't say if you have a loader or fluid in your tires or if your tractor has R1 (regular farm tread or R2 Industrial type tread) but even if you do not have a loader, fluid or R1 tires you should still be alright ..
Just take it easy speed wise ..allow the unit to fully lift from ground contact BEFORE you turn .. unlike the drills of old like a Van Brunt where you could leave it down and turn back into parallel of you last run these units should be run in straight lines then go back and cap your end rows ..
If you have not used a no till drill or even if you have but not this specific model I suggest you go to the agency with the drill and ask to borrow for a couple of days the "operators books" now while there is no demand for the drill and it's instructional books ..it will get you way ahead of the game and will take much pressure off of you come planting time.
You can do it!
Good Luck

Bear

I think you'll be fine, being it's a pull type. The three point throws you around a little, especially if it isn't flat, the way 3-point implements swing.

I'm doing the same thing with our soil conservation district ..I have it booked for first of June and the last of august to start the Buffalo System of 24/7/365 ground cover to thwart river erosion ..I will be pulling it with a John Deere 5045E which is a 45HP tractor that weighs 5100 lbs plus a frontend loader ..it does have traditional tractor tires with fluid ...
You don't say if you have a loader or fluid in your tires or if your tractor has R1 (regular farm tread or R2 Industrial type tread) but even if you do not have a loader, fluid or R1 tires you should still be alright ..
Just take it easy speed wise ..allow the unit to fully lift from ground contact BEFORE you turn .. unlike the drills of old like a Van Brunt where you could leave it down and turn back into parallel of you last run these units should be run in straight lines then go back and cap your end rows ..
If you have not used a no till drill or even if you have but not this specific model I suggest you go to the agency with the drill and ask to borrow for a couple of days the "operators books" now while there is no demand for the drill and it's instructional books ..it will get you way ahead of the game and will take much pressure off of you come planting time.
You can do it!
Good Luck

Bear
Loader and R1 unfilled tires.

I don't forsee me having any issues pulling the drill but figured I'd ask first rather than find out later.

Good reminder to lift the drill before turning. I have some sweeping turns at the field edge but it shouldn't be a problem.

Luckily Land Pride provides an Operator pdf for download that I've read through and there's plenty of videos of it on youtube.

I turn all the time with my drill. It’s not a big deal. It becomes less no till and more till, but not like committing a crazy sin.

We have rented that exact drill for a good decade here, I have planted several hundred acres with it. You won't have any problem with a 4wd 59 horse tractor.

Yeah, I bet you’d be fine without notable hills but will the county let you is another question? I’ve seen some SWCD in MN where they have to validate your tractor meets drill mfr specs which yours wouldn’t.[edit: I was wrong, was thinking of the 3pt spec]

I’ve seen the 3pt806 pulled with a 55hp Case after I told guys it wasn’t enough tractor..EAC51E89-9161-4EFE-8C51-B627606D1017.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, I bet you’d be fine without notable hills but will the county let you is another question? I’ve seen some SWCD in MN where they have to validate your tractor meets drill mfr specs which yours wouldn’t.

I’ve seen the 3pt806 pulled with a 55hp Case after I told guys it wasn’t enough tractor..
The factory spec is 55 engine horsepower, so Barker should be good to go, both in HP and weight. The next size up would require a larger tractor. Of course, hills should be taken into consideration with any implement.

Here in Missouri, you have to tell them what you are using, but they don't "validate" the lease in any way. It would be a pain to bring in the tractor, especially since o tractors (at least here in Missouri) don't have any paperwork to bring in for validation.

Yeah, I bet you’d be fine without notable hills but will the county let you is another question? I’ve seen some SWCD in MN where they have to validate your tractor meets drill mfr specs which yours wouldn’t.

I’ve seen the 3pt806 pulled with a 55hp Case after I told guys it wasn’t enough tractor..View attachment 50190
Damn that’s a beast of a drill

I pulled a John Deere 1590 which is 15’ wide and 8000 lbs empty with a 50hp, 4500 lbs 4wd tractor. Did a few wheelies

It's hard on the row units, openers, bearings, etc. A gradual turn is no problem......

And @omicron1792’s drill is “min til” and doesn’t have coulters. I’d think the coulters would have the most lateral movement and forces on them during turns but if nothing else it’s just one more thing on a longer row unit (easier to torque) getting forces it’s not supposed to.

It's hard on the row units, openers, bearings, etc. A gradual turn is no problem......
What Swatt says ..plus comes under the heading of understanding the equipment.. if you just think about the tremendous lateral pressure the units are not designed to withstand if you make a turn with the units in the dirt

Bear

Once you go through the pain in the ass of replacing bearings(disc) you take the extra time to raise the equipment to minimize wear and tear/breakage.