7 gallon bags and bare root apples?

chummer

5 year old buck +
I was wondering if I could put bare root trees from cummins in 7 gallon root trapper bags. I would like to set aside some of my 25 trees for the new property but it will not be ready to plant till fall. Are the bags big enough?

I did 5 gallon bags last summer and didn't even have the roots touching the side of the bag!

I'm just throwing this out there. My 5 gal bags were far from easy to move with no handle. Couldn't imagine moving the 7 gal bags around! That's a stinkin lot of dirt!

Boy, I'd love to see someone test putting bare root rootstocks/trees into 3-, 5-, and 7-gallon RootTrapper containers and checking the impact on roots and air pruning at the 6-month and 18-month marks.

Maybe someone has done some or all of that testing already and I've missed the results?

Thanks guys that is good news. I think I will build a little coral near the drip line of my shed. How close together can I put them? I only have to move them 8 miles in the fall or maybe the spring if the spot still isn't ready.

Perfect. That is what I was planning. Three rows of six.

Can you just use miracle grow potting soil mixed with manure/soil mix, and topsoil. I can get good topsoil for $16 a yard, would that work?

Boy, I'd love to see someone test putting bare root rootstocks/trees into 3-, 5-, and 7-gallon RootTrapper containers and checking the impact on roots and air pruning at the 6-month and 18-month marks.

Maybe someone has done some or all of that testing already and I've missed the results?
I'll do it if the bags are supplied :)

Chummer

I have had bare root trees from Cummins and based on the volume of roots and the length I think it will be a challenge to get them all in without either cutting or trimming some roots and layering the roots in the bag. I do have 7 gallon root trappers so I speak from experience lol

Chummer

I have had bare root trees from Cummins and based on the volume of roots and the length I think it will be a challenge to get them all in without either cutting or trimming some roots and layering the roots in the bag. I do have 7 gallon root trappers so I speak from experience lol
Thanks for the feedback. I guess I could just bag the smaller ones and plant the others as planned.

Cummins will have a range of tree sizes available. They give larger trees to those who order first. You might talk to them and see if you can get smaller stock for what you want to plant in bags.

The 7 gallon may be fine I just think the roots from Cummins trees have been very big

The 7 gallon may be fine I just think the roots from Cummins trees have been very big
I think your right, I remember digging some big holes last year.