606NT switchgrass settings

WImuzz

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have recommended settings for switchgrass? A little thicker (8lbs-10lbs per acre) since I want screen vs bedding.

Switchgrass seed varies in size so much between different varieties that it is hard to say. You'll likely have to calibrate it to your seed.

Does anyone have recommended settings for switchgrass? A little thicker (8lbs-10lbs per acre) since I want screen vs bedding.
Big or little seed box? I like switch in small see box set at 50

Big or little seed box? I like switch in small see box set at 50
Small seed box. 50 sounds great. I found a thread on Michigan habit that referenced 45.
Thank you.

I planted 1 acre of Tecumseh RC yesterday. I set my 3p606nt to 48 and it equated to 10lbs per acre.
Awesome my man. Good luck.

It’s like watching paint dry. So slow. But one day when you think it’s a failure you’ll look and it will be full of switch. Almost weird how it happens.

I just saw this thread or I would have replied sooner. Here are the settings that calibrated out for me on my pull behind 606NT (pictured in my Avatar):

I mixed up a blend of 80% Cave-In-Rock and 20% Kanlow and calibrated with that mix. I only wanted about 8.5#/acre so I went with the small box setting of 45. It looks like you will be in the 9.5#/acre range by using setting 48. Setting 50 calibrated out to 9.7#/acre on my drill. Good job!

IMG_9145.jpg

Awesome my man. Good luck.

It’s like watching paint dry. So slow. But one day when you think it’s a failure you’ll look and it will be full of switch. Almost weird how it happens.

Actually, I know that is the norm but it hasn't actually been all that slow for me here in Upper Michigan...but I don't plant until June.

I have only planted 4 small sections - 1/4 acre - 1/2 acre, but here is a photo of where I drilled switchgrass into a prepped plot on June 13th
IMG_2434.JPG

July 4th - Switchgrass is up and running...

IMG_0261 (2).jpeg

August 9th
IMG_2708 (2).jpeg

August 11th
IMG_2733 (3).jpeg

September 18th of the first year - lots of witchgrass or maybe Foxtail coming up with the switch. I had not done any mowing or other maintenance to this plot. I called my local NRCS agent and asked what I could do about the invasive. He checked with their "switchgrass guru" in another office and that guy said - "Don't worry about it - the switchgrass will outcompete it the next year". He was right. But...I learned that it is best to mow your new switchgrass at least a couple of times throughout the summer before the invasive go to seed.
IMG_2982.JPG

October 8th - the following (2nd) year - no weed competition
IMG_1870.jpg

August in 3rd year - I decided to extend this small strip but I mowed it at least twice the first year
IMG_3616 (2).jpeg

August - 3rd year
IMG_3828.jpeg

August - 3rd year....and a mowed strip of first year switch where I extended it to make the first strip larger...
IMG_3833 (1).jpeg

Mowed first year on the right - 2nd or 3rd year switch on the left.
IMG_3836 (1).jpeg

Actually, I know that is the norm but it hasn't actually been all that slow for me here in Upper Michigan...but I don't plant until June.

I have only planted 4 small sections - 1/4 acre - 1/2 acre, but here is a photo of where I drilled switchgrass into a prepped plot on June 13th
View attachment 52639

July 4th - Switchgrass is up and running...

View attachment 52640

August 9th
View attachment 52641

August 11th
View attachment 52642

September 18th of the first year - lots of witchgrass or maybe Foxtail coming up with the switch. I had not done any mowing or other maintenance to this plot. I called my local NRCS agent and asked what I could do about the invasive. He checked with their "switchgrass guru" in another office and that guy said - "Don't worry about it - the switchgrass will outcompete it the next year". He was right. But...I learned that it is best to mow your new switchgrass at least a couple of times throughout the summer before the invasive go to seed.
View attachment 52643

October 8th - the following (2nd) year - no weed competition
View attachment 52644

August in 3rd year - I decided to extend this small strip but I mowed it at least twice the first year
View attachment 52645

August - 3rd year
View attachment 52646

August - 3rd year....and a mowed strip of first year switch where I extended it to make the first strip larger...
View attachment 52647

Mowed first year on the right - 2nd or 3rd year switch on the left.
View attachment 52648
See, one month for seedlings to pop is a long time! I’m used to food plot coming up day after first rain