6-8’ Walmart Dunstan Chestnut

Troubles Trees

5 year old buck +
I’ve spent $20-25/ea. on 18-24” Chinese Chestnut seedlings in the past, these are well worth $35/ea. to me. Especially when they came from Chestnut Hill and some already have burrs on them. Yes I know in the fall they will be dirt cheap there and I will keep an eye out for that sale, but historically speaking... I’ve missed every single sale. These are (allegedly) the 2 year trees, the 3 year old trees wouldn’t fit in my truck or I would have grabbed a couple of them too lol yes it’s an addiction but it’s a healthy one.
I’ve never planted Dunstans, and I’ll admit I am also a rookie with Chinese Chestnuts so any advice before planting? The Chestnut Hill tag says plant 30-40’ apart and only needs 6 hours of sun. Is all day sun ok or should I plant in partial shade? It’s been a dry summer so I’m considering waiting till fall to plant, it’s not easy to get water on the hill.

0AC69F7B-0C62-457B-B5F3-CCDED51363E1.jpeg

D51630E8-566D-4982-A88B-61AB2F81454C.jpeg

Last edited:
This is a very tough time of the year to plant chestnuts unless you can water them very often. If you live at your farm and can water when necessary you may be OK. I would plant them where they get morning sun and afternoon shade.

If you can't water them when needed, I would take them out of those smooth containers and hand prune any circling roots. I would then put them in 3 gal Rootbuilder II containers and keep them at home where you can baby them until they go dormant and then plant them.

Good Luck,

Jack

What Jack said. I've had some of those and they do fine but I've had seedlings catch them.

I would wait til fall

Agree to move out of smooth container

Walmart shopping bags @50cents each with a well drained media will prevent root circling

It is almost impossible to overwater them in this setting and the summer heat

Plant them when dormant in sandy/loam soil on a north or east facing slope

bill

Great input guys, thank you all so very much for the advice!
I will transplant to a bigger container, I doubt it will be Rootmakers due to cost unfortunately. I will trim any circling roots and move them to bigger containers then permanently plant them in the fall.
You guys rock!
Daron

Man I'm excited about this and am going to head out to Walmart tonight in hopes that they have them. I've had 4 chestnuts in cages for about 4 years (they were 2 year old trees) and I've yet to get any fruit on them at all. The same goes for my apple and pear trees. I'm wondering if I planted them too far apart (?). Maybe I just don't have pollinators in the area(?). So if these are local, I'm gong to run out and a grab a few to plant later in the year.

Do you see catkins on them? It can take quite a bit longer for them to produce nuts. I grew mine from nuts using a rootmaker container system. I planted them with close spacing to improve early production with the thought that some will die and I can always thin them when crowns begin to interfere with each other. It still took about 8 years or so to see the first few trees produce nuts and I'm guessing it will be 10 or more years before the average tree produces nuts. My best trees have only be producing nuts for two years now. Last year squirrels cleaned them up before any hit the ground. This spring we had a late frost event, so I don't know if we will get nuts or not.

Keep in mind that when places that sell trees tell you how long it takes for them to fruit, they are usually giving you the shortest time it is possible and then it takes a few more years until the yield becomes significant.

Water, water, water..... Keep in mind those trees where babied up until now and then they sat out in the sun for lord knows how long so they maybe a little stressed. I have had some hit and miss luck with their chestnut trees. I am in a holding pattern right now with them to see if those I have can hack it or not. I'm not one to baby trees....but thus far I have had better luck with fruit trees than I have my dunstans. I started with a couple of 3 gallon trees like you have. 3 did fine and grew to 10/12 feet tall and one starting producing and then died of root rot - over 1 winter....produced a few chestnuts the fall before and then just dead! Another was attacked by a deer....removed the cage and rubbed and ate it to a stick.....it's bouncing back but slowly. I have had others not handle some of my drier soils as well. Chestnut hill replaced (with smaller trees) the ones I have had die....but again....I'm not going to add to them until I get some more evidence that they can hack it. I fear I have some sawtooths I grew from acorns that will produce before my replacement chestnuts will. Good luck with your trees.....

I will transplant to a bigger container, I doubt it will be Rootmakers due to cost unfortunately. I will trim any circling roots and move them to bigger containers then permanently plant them in the fall.
You guys rock!
Daron

The walmart bags are a cheaper solution and will not cause circling roots like smooth sided containers. Here are some thought in general. Trees grown in smooth sided containers can look really good when young. Circling roots are not really a problem until they tree becomes older and larger and the roots constrict themselves. Direct seeding or growing trees in a root pruning container system avoids this.

Bare root trees are generally grown in the ground and dug up. The roots are cut during extraction and the soil is washed off the roots for transport. Bare root trees need to be purchased, and planted when dormant. The saying with these trees is: "Year 1 - sleep, Year 2 - creep, and Year 3 - leap." They have significant transplant shock. They spend that first year trying to reestablish their root system in the new environment. The second growing season you see a little more top growth. By year three, they are ready to grow pretty much normally again.

B&B trees (burlap ball) are a little better but still suffer a lot of transplant shock. They are grown in the ground and the roots cut when extracted. Instead of washing off the soils, the extracted root ball is wrapped in burlap including the soil. These are generally more expensive because of the transport cost, but they will start growing a bit sooner.

When you plant a containerized tree, you avoid much of the transplant shock since the root ball stays intact. However with a smooth sided container, the tap root hits the bottom of the container and begins circling. They are slow to put out secondary lateral roots. While they look great in the containers, and do well when planted directly from the container, when they get large, those circling roots will begin to constrict themselves. So, the best thing to do is to remove the media from the container and cut any circling roots. However, you essentially now have a bare root tree and have lost the advantage of a containerized tree.

Trees grown in a root pruning container system have the tap root pruned at about 4". Air pruning a root causes the tip to desecrate and seal off so you don't have an entry point for disease like when you manually prune a root. This pruning causes increased production of lateral roots most of which occurs in the 4" above the prune. So, properly transplanted trees from root pruning systems will have a dense fibrous root system and most of the container will contain roots. Since the amount of nutrition a tree can uptake is limited by the number of terminal root tips, these trees are very efficient at transporting nutrients and water and they grow fast. In addition, nothing the tree produced is wasted. When roots are air pruned at the tip, nothing is removed. When you dig up a tree or manually prune roots, the part you cut off is lost energy and it takes time for the tree to re-balance between top and rootball. When you plant from a large root pruning container, the root system is completely undisturbed and the tree begins to grow almost immediately. So, if you provide supplemental water when needed, they can be planted in the field in the summer while actively growing because there is so little transplant shock. I still prefer to plant them when dormant because there is always some transplant shock due to the new environment you are putting them in. I don't need to provide supplemental water this way.

This is the last time of year I would be buying trees. They are really an illusion. You think you are getting a head-start, but not really. I grew all my Dunstans from nuts, starting them in the winter under lights using a root pruning container system. While this was a great cabin fever project for me in the winter, unless you are planting trees in high volume, it has a high cost for setup. Folks in some locations with a long growing season, can do this for a low cost doing everything outdoors. This approach is not for everyone and there is a tradeoff made when choosing the root pruning approach.

I would suggest that direct seeding might be a much better alternative for most. Buying these containerized trees seems like a head start but it really isn't much of one, especially when you consider the trees will die over time. Chestnut ridge of pike county sells Dunstan chestnuts in the fall. You can plant those directly in the fall and let nature cold stratify them. You just need to protect the nuts from squirrels and such. There are other threads with details on that.

I don't mean to discourage you and I hope your trees work out.

Thanks,

Jack

Do you see catkins on them? It can take quite a bit longer for them to produce nuts. I grew mine from nuts using a rootmaker container system. I planted them with close spacing to improve early production with the thought that some will die and I can always thin them when crowns begin to interfere with each other. It still took about 8 years or so to see the first few trees produce nuts and I'm guessing it will be 10 or more years before the average tree produces nuts. My best trees have only be producing nuts for two years now. Last year squirrels cleaned them up before any hit the ground. This spring we had a late frost event, so I don't know if we will get nuts or not.

Keep in mind that when places that sell trees tell you how long it takes for them to fruit, they are usually giving you the shortest time it is possible and then it takes a few more years until the yield becomes significant.
I didn't see anything on them last week when I was at my property. Same with the Apple and Pear trees. We also had a late frost so I am thinking that could have killed off the flowers for this year = no fruit. I'll look a lot closer next when I go back.

You can never have to many chestnuts! My experience has been the Chinese grow better for me and are less fussy. Dunstan’s don't like wet feet and they like loamy sandy soil. Make sure to protect them everything will try to eat or rub them.
If you’re going to move them into a different container I would just plant them in their new permanent spot and try very hard to water them a couple times a week, that way the roots can get started good now and you won’t have to water as much next year. I've planted potted leafed out Dunstan's before.

Every living thing dies. Containerized trees are not the doom and gloom that some would have you believe. There is certainly some good advice above but if you don’t follow the info it doesn’t necessary mean your tree is going to die. I have had containerized trees, bare root and direct seeded trees all die. If you get trees in a container to live it’s surely an advantage . 53897C69-C881-453D-B05A-98BB5E7AADC4.jpeg
This containerized pear tree sat on my patio from June until September (in the smooth sided container) before I stuck it in the ground. I did nothing but water it. I did loosen up the roots and straighten out anything that appeared root bound before I planted it. I planted four trees from a container at the same time. 1 died the other 3 flowered this year.

Last edited:
The tree above fruited this year. Some of the branches on it have grown 30” and it’s pushed 13’ tall.23313233-BD27-4637-94C7-2C56ACF8EF75.jpegB20188E3-2BE9-4897-A4B4-60072CD7F41F.jpeg

34931ACA-3E37-4A9C-AF8B-E5C63C9D9199.jpeg
Here is a bare root tree planted about the same time. This tree has literally done nothing. Seems the container tree has the early advantage.

8588F8E9-9F91-454C-89CA-0D439C80EFAF.jpeg

Here is a bare root tree planted this Spring. It has exploded. Almost 24” of growth and already well above the cage. I still think there is solid advice above but sometimes other ways will work out just fine. I lost three bare root trees this year after leaf out. They were growing fine and then died.

View attachment 30618

Here is a bare root tree planted this Spring. It has exploded. Almost 24” of growth and already well above the cage. I still think there is solid advice above but sometimes other ways will work out just fine. I lost three bare root trees this year after leaf out. They were growing fine and then died.

All of those trees are many, many, years too young for the big issues with circling roots to evidence. That is also not to say that every tree with circling roots is doomed. It simply means that root constriction can occur when the tree get older reducing its ability to uptake nutrients.

Trees are a very long term investment. The real pay-off is 20 years down the road. They take a lot of effort, even low maintenance wildlife trees. I wan to maximize the chances that trees will not only survive but thrive over the long haul with the least maintenance on my part. The stress on a transplanted tree, the better the chances it will flourish in the long run. Keep in mind there are many more factors involved that we can compensate for. There are some individual trees that are so vigorous that we can do everything wrong and the tree will thrive. There are others that lack enough vigor that we can do everything possible to give them the best chances to succeed and they will fail or live but never produce much.

When I first started with trees, I opted for volume. I figured any tree was better than no tree. I've changed over time. I've taken to culling trees so only the best and brightest make it to the field. I'm now putting in more effort to give fewer trees a good start.

One more thing to consider here is that we all live in different areas with different climates. Some environments are much more benign and others more severe. Some tree varieties will do much better on certain soils and climates than others. It is normal that we will all have somewhat different experiences and results.

Thanks,

Jack

You guys rock!
Daron

If you can plant them in an area with full sun, you will en joy faster growth and better trees; I've planted dunstan chestnuts in areas with varying hours of sunlight and the best trees always result from full time sun .... as much as they can get. second, if you intend to hold them until cooler weaqther in the fall, I'd recommend you not simply transfer them to a larger pot and water as needed. Instead, you can place them in a larger pot or leave them in the pots you purchasede .... here's the trick - PLANT THE POT (with the tree of course)! Any black plastic pot above ground in the middle of summer will be almost impossible to regulate the water needs because of the extreme temperatures (even if you place them in the shade). A potted tree that is planted will stay much cooler and use water much more efficiently. If you don't want to plant the pots, at least consider putting substantial amounts of mulch around them until you are ready to plant. They are nice trees, keep them healthy. Good luck.

If you can plant them in an area with full sun, you will en joy faster growth and better trees; I've planted dunstan chestnuts in areas with varying hours of sunlight and the best trees always result from full time sun .... as much as they can get. second, if you intend to hold them until cooler weaqther in the fall, I'd recommend you not simply transfer them to a larger pot and water as needed. Instead, you can place them in a larger pot or leave them in the pots you purchasede .... here's the trick - PLANT THE POT (with the tree of course)! Any black plastic pot above ground in the middle of summer will be almost impossible to regulate the water needs because of the extreme temperatures (even if you place them in the shade). A potted tree that is planted will stay much cooler and use water much more efficiently. If you don't want to plant the pots, at least consider putting substantial amounts of mulch around them until you are ready to plant. They are nice trees, keep them healthy. Good luck.

Very interesting. My best performers get mostly morning sun and are mostly shaded from direct afternoon sun.

Wish walmart would have them in my area