50 lb bags of RR soybeans for $20 in WI

bueller

FYI...The Feed Store in Wisconsin Rapids has 50 lb bags of RR soybeans for $20 each. These "leftover" beans are made available to us food plotters through QDMA's Central Wisconsin branch. Cash only and they go fast. The tags on the ones I got say they have a 60% germination rate, tested March 2018.

I bought some once and they came up so thin I ended up buying regular ag beans and starting all over. Cost me more than normal. Pretty much the story of my life. I do not buy year old seed anymore - if I know it. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

I had the opportunity to buy these left over beans in the past and have always passed on it. When I am going to put a lot of time, money, and energy into a food plot I want the best possible results. As such, I always buy current seed and hope for the best germination rate. This system has worked for me for 26 years of food plotting.

Mine are going on a 1/2 acre plot so it's probably waste anyways. $20 vs $60 a bag is a no brainer in my situation.

I'd be surprised if the germination rate didn't go up with the increased dormancy time. If I was closer, and was going to be planting something like these (soybeans are awesome for drawing deer here), I'd be all over it.

They sell thousands of bags each year at this location so they must work to some extent. Worst case scenario for me is it fails but will cost me less compared to the buckwheat I usually plant in this field and I'll have a weed free plot to plant brassicas in July.

It's simple math, just adjust the rate for 60% germinaton. Normally germ is 95%, or so. Age doesn't help oil seed germinaton, if that's what was implied in an earlier post.