"2nd" rut activity

Hoytvectrix

5 year old buck +
I'm wondering what folks are seeing in the way of rut activity (in the Midwest). Our property is located in northern Missouri. Normally the rut kicks off around November 3rd and slows way down the third week of November. It seems like there is a "2nd" rut that typically starts around now (3-5 of December). I'm basing this on trail camera activity and observations from the stand. I'm assuming these are does that did not get bred the first rut or doe fawns that are large enough in weight for breeding. Is my thinking correct on this?

Would this explain why mature bucks have almost entirely disappeared for the last two weeks and have finally started showing up again?

I think in some cases mature bucks will disappear mid November as they can be locked on a doe. I've sat in a stand for most of the day and watched a mature buck stand over or near a bedded doe for hours. Watched a buck follow a doe across a corn field for 3-4 hours. She would get up, he would get up and she would eat and then bed down. He did the same.

If the bucks are not seeking and are locked on a doe their range becomes very small.

I am ML hunting this weekend so i hope a second rut with more activity is the case.

Last edited:
I would agree in that the second rut seems to be roughly 30 days behind when you would see the initial rutting activity. I typically don't see a lot of activity but you can get lucky on occasion and find a nice buck trailing a young doe. We typically shift to hunting food sources in December and allow the hungry does to draw the bucks out....this is during our muzzleloader season. Things tend to be pretty picked over as our general firearms season is over by then as well, but a nice buck can still be found with some luck. My son's best buck was taken on a clear day after a good snowfall in early/mid December. I try to be done by then...I'm not a fan of the cold.

I got a pic today of a nice buck. He was shadowing a doe. Bet he didn’t move 50 feet in 10 minutes. Then they got out of range and my camera stopped triggering. :emoji_disappointed:

I got a pic today of a nice buck. He was shadowing a doe. Bet he didn’t move 50 feet in 10 minutes. Then they got out of range and my camera stopped triggering. :emoji_disappointed:
Well, it's still encouraging that they are around and made it through rifle season. Just muzzleloader to go and you are probably in the clear.

I have seen an increase in buck activity also with a few deer chasing. Seems this time of year you may have 10 bucks after 1 nice doe. Several years ago during our muzzleloader season which is typically the second weekend in December I watched no less than a dozen bucks after a doe including 3 deer that were 4.5 or older.

Also seems that the last several years I get quite a few pics of mature deer chasing late into January which must be yearlings coming in that late. I also have wondered if some of the mild winters and late born fawns have increased this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have seen an increase in buck activity also with a few deer chasing. Seems this time of year you may have 10 bucks after 1 nice doe. Several years ago during our muzzleloader season which is typically the second weekend in December I watched no less than a dozen bucks after a doe including 3 deer that were 4.5 or older.

Also seems that the last several years I get quite a few pics of mature deer chasing late into January which must be yearlings coming in that late. I also have wondered if some of the mild winters and late born fawns have increased this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We have definitely observed the same...but only into late December. For better or worse, we have embraced having more does and fawns on our property, if nothing more than we get to see more rutting action. The later rutting action isn't quite as obvious as the peak rut in early November, but it's always nice to see and hear that others are experiencing the same.

I run six Cuddelinks on a property in northeast OH, and this is the first year I’ve had the system to really start paying attention to the trends... for sure in the past few days I’ve seen an uptick in activity, and I’m seeing a few bucks that are less common on our property, so maybe they’re taking some searching walks or maybe they’re on a doe. Based on what I’m seeing though, looks likes a good time to be out hunting if possible. Last week and past weekend was our gun week, and since this property wasn’t pressured I suppose it’s also possible deer we’re just pushed to our place. Always tough to wrangle all variables.