2nd and 3rd leaf apples behind / now what?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I have a few trees that did not put on much vertical growth there first year and some that did not in their first or second year. All are 111 or 118 rootstock. All are in orchards where other trees are doing fine. All were planted as bare root trees. One or two are snow sweet, one or two are frostbite, and one may be an Arkansas black. What should I do / cut the central leader back late winter and fertilize and lime a little more this year. There are enough laterals on them for photosynthesis, but not so many laterals that it is likely to take from the central leader. There are no competing central leaders?

What would be your reasoning for cutting back the central leader? Unless it is damaged or dead there would be no reason to cut the central leader back, if anything that is going to stimulate more lateral branching. Do a soil test arond those trees and go fom there. It might just be taking those longer to establish a root system. I wouldnt expect 1st year trees to put on tons of growth.

Last edited:
I would cut it back to stimulate any growth for a while. The ph is 6.7 and fertility is good in the soil.

Heading cuts are going to stimulate lateral branching, and not really do anything to stimulate more vertical growth than you are geting now. Soil pH and fertility dont seem to be an issue. If the trees appear healthy just make sure they are getting adequate moisture and give them another year.

I agree w/ what TC said. The only other things would be light and tree placement. You said they're in orchards where others are doing fine, but are they situated within the orchard where they get less light then the others? Down hill more in a lower area where it is too wet, uphill in a sandy soil with poor moisture? What have you done for fert? At what depth did you get a soil sample?

Sometimes trees have poorer root systems and take a couple years to catch up.

Last edited:
I agree w/ what TC said. The only other things would be light and tree placement. You said they're in orchards where others are doing fine, but are they situated within the orchard where they get less light then the others? Down hill more in a lower area where it is too wet, uphill in a sandy soil with poor moisture? What have you done for fert? At what depth did you get a soil sample?

Sometimes trees have poorer root systems and take a couple years to catch up.

There are 26 trees is a single row in that orchard. It is really a long foodplot of 2.5 acres and they are in the center of the plot. Soil sample at 4 inches. I put in 6oz of triple 10 on the surface and not touching tree. I may have only done it in late March last year. normally i would fertilize again in thr middle of May. The plot is level and drainage consistent. My guess is it is just a difference in trees.