24D on switchgrass

Thetrooper

5 year old buck +
I've got about 8 acres of switchgrass that is starting to come in for it's second year. The sprouts are coming off last years clump bases and are about 3-6" long. Will 24D hurt an established switchgrass field? It's only on year 2 so it's not fully blown up yet but I have some thistle and other broad-leaved that are coming in. I've heard 24D can kill or damage switchgrass seedlings but I wasn't sure if that also applied to re-emmerging growth. Can't find any info on this thanks

I had what I considered a failed switch grass planting. Very little switch in year two. Before writing it off in the spring of year 3 I sprayed 10 acres with 2,4-D. That summer I had the prettiest switch grass field in town.

I sprayed the third spring but I seriously doubt you’d have a problem hitting this year. 2,4-D is a broadleaf killer.

If I were to spray switch with 2,4-D I would definitely follow the label for recommendations, maybe even go lighter than the label says.

I know it's a broadleaf killer, but switchgrass is too expensive and takes too long to establish to be taking chances, IMO.

Edit: I have never sprayed 2,4-D on switchgrass myself but know others who have successfully done it.

Yeah I'm paranoid about it. That's a lot of time and money invested