2024 Deer Harvest Forecasts

5 year old buck +
In May of 2023 I posted a “deer season forecast” based on early trail cam photos. Although it is well past May, I will continue the tradition and post the anticipated harvest for the 2024-25 season. Feel free to respond with your “forecast” for the upcoming season.

2024 marks the 7th season of habitat improvements. The biggest change has been the improvement in the buck/doe ratio. From 2017-2020, I would often see seven to ten does for every buck. Today that ratio is about two does per buck. For 2024 I have two does with two fawns and two does with one fawn on camera regularly. We added two more blinds—a tower located near a transition point over row-crops and a bale blind between bedding and food.

Here is my 2024 season forecast:

* Early bow season: First doe tag filled. Nevertheless, I am going after Eleven 11, a mature target buck that has zero tolerance for pressure.
* October: Early antlerless season success for one of the grandkids.
* Firearms season: Best chance at harvesting Eleven 11 (50/50). Another doe down.
* Late bow and alternative (muzzle loader) season: 100% chance of heartbreak based on previous years. What will it be this year? Misfire? Scope fogs up? Thermos falls on metal stand while preparing for the shot? Bino strap breaks and bangs on the floor?

Kids and grandkids: One buck tag filled, one “why didn’t you let me shoot it” argument and two doe tags filled.
Me: One doe and a 50/50 chance on Eleven 11. Late season heartbreak can be mitigated by early season success.
Total Farm Harvest: 4

Bonus Harvest: I also hunt at our cabin, at Deer Camp and on some public and private located in other parts of the state: Buck tag and Doe tag filled.

IMG_0811.jpeg
Mr. Tall Tine will be a pass UNLESS a grandkid says, “That’s the one I want.”