2023 Gardens

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
Who's planning a vegetable garden for this coming year?? Give us the run-down of what all you'll be planting.

Ambrosia sweet corn, California Wonder bell peppers, a half dozen varieties of tomatoes, green beans, lettuce, arugula, zucchini, Athena cantaloupe, Big Max pumpkins, Crimson Sweet watermelon, red potatoes, red and yellow onions, carrots, snow peas, cilantro, and lots of different flowers that are beneficial in one way or another.

I have raised beds, fill them with my own composted horse manure, make my own liquid foliar fertilizer, and heading into year 5 of not using any insecticides or herbicides.

I garden year round. Right now in the garden: spinach, multiple types lettuce, multiple types carrots, broccoli , cauliflower, multiple type beets, kohlrabi, purple mustards, collards 5 types kale, onions { 225 plants!} garlic, radishes, celery, chives, leeks, cabbages, ....Red russet and Yukon gold potatoes in couple weeks, sugar snap peas, strawberries,

Starting peppers and tomatoes in green house in couple weeks . Beyond that plant everything imaginable in summer garden. All way beyond organic no till

Mostly tomatoes and peppers here. I’ll likely run beans along fence as well.

My grandpa in law - has been saving tomato’s seeds from a variety from Italy for like 70 years. I’m excited to be growing them in my garden this year.

I'm jealous of the asparagus. have a 5 yr old bed but asparagus doesn't grow like that in the south..at least not for me. Picture pencils.

My god that's some huge asparagus!
We are expanding this year, going with probably 3 different kinds of sweet corn. I really like the early golden so that will be 1 for sure. I have envelopes of spaghetti, acorn,butternut and winter squash in the fridge in the garage, probably plant 30 of each or so along with at least 2 acres of assorted pumpkins. Then tomatoes, last year I did 18 plants of assorted varieties this year I'm hoping for 20/25. I don't have any favorites except for roma. After that the normal beans, peas, peppers, etc..
We are going to try to have a small produce stand this year. We sold some on marketplace last year, made enough to mostly pay for seed for this year.
Like others, almost totally organic, chicken shit for fertilizer, I have never used any insecticide. It's not always fun, a pia lots of days but it's rewarding.
Next year I'm hoping to put in a small greenhouse.

I forgot to mention my asparagus. Planted 25 crowns a few years ago.
I've got to get a patch going at the cabin. I've been meaning to do it for two years and keep putting it off. I wanna put in 30 crowns myself, but I've got make a spot and raise it up about 6 inches. Every inch of ground on my property puddles long enough in the spring to kill stuff.

I have a patch of wild asparagus growing in the front yard. It's been growing slowly every year. Anything I could do to help it spread and grow better?

You more northern guys looking to establish asparagus could take a look at Millenium. It was developed in Canada and favors heavier soils, although it can go in sandier ground also. When I put in 100 crowns a few years ago, they were all various Jerseys and some Purple Passion. Then I did 50 Milleniums a couple years later. Had 75 more of that ordered for last year and the place just kept delaying the shipment, so by the time hot summer rolled in and asparagus season was over, I told him to cancel the order. He flipped out but did cancel. The Purple makes huge spears on my heavy site as well. Actually bigger than I prefer but not a prob.

along with at least 2 acres of assorted pumpkins.
What do you do with all the pumpkins?? Canning company or fall / Halloween sales?

We are hoping for Halloween sales. I have never thought about canning company though...

Then tomatoes, last year I did 18 plants of assorted varieties this year I'm hoping for 20/25.
Dad used to plant 12 dozen tomatoes plants each year - 144 plants!! We shared with neighbors, family, co-workers, old folks in the several blocks around our house. The we canned a BATCH of them each year. Mom made home-made spaghetti sauce, ketchup, and tomatoes "mixed" with green peppers, onions, and garlic. Dad didn't like to stake the tomatoes - he wanted straw put down about 6" thick around all those plants. 3 guesses who got that hot, itchy job - after he and I planted all 12 dozen plants.

I didn't mention what Mom, Dad, and I planted in our garden in the OP. Here's our usuals .....

2 kinds of corn (yellow and bi-color), green beans, "Fordhook" lima beans, onions, green peppers, yellow banana hot peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cucumbers, zucchini, radishes (red & white), leaf and "Butter Crunch" head lettuce, carrots, and beets. We used to plant potatoes and peas, but found local sources for both that were too inexpensive to be worth the time & effort to keep planting those. We planted more than we needed, but Dad insisted on sharing with neighbors - especially the older folks. Lesson learned.

Last edited:
We are hoping for Halloween sales. I have never thought about canning company though...
A landowner near us grows and sells pumpkins for commercial canning. The canning company wants certain varieties grown, so they supply the seed for him. I don't know which canning company.

I have a patch of wild asparagus growing in the front yard. It's been growing slowly every year. Anything I could do to help it spread and grow better?
I'm not an asparagus guru, but I'd get the competition mowed real low, and then get it deep mulched so your plants get some leg room. I'd also put a few inches of high quality compost under that mulch.

and of course a shot of gypsum each year.

I should also do some gooseberry planting this spring.

I should also do some gooseberry planting this spring.
I don't think I've ever heard of gooseberry, what is it?

Dad used to plant 12 dozen tomatoes plants each year - 144 plants!! We shared with neighbors, family, co-workers, old folks in the several blocks around our house. The we canned a BATCH of then each year. Mom made home-made spaghetti sauce, ketchup, and tomatoes "mixed" with green peppers, onions, and garlic. Dad didn't like to stake the tomatoes - he wanted straw put down about 6" thick around all those plants. 3 guesses who got that hot, itchy job - after he and I planted all 12 dozen plants.

I didn't mention what Mom, Dad, and I planted in our garden in the OP. Here's our usuals .....

2 kinds of corn (yellow and bi-color), green beans, "Fordhook" lima beans, onions, green peppers, yellow banana hot peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cucumbers, zucchini, radishes (red & white), leaf and "butter Crunch" head lettuce, carrots, and beets. We used to plant potatoes and peas, but found local sources for both that were too inexpensive to be worth the time & effort to keep planting those. We planted more than we needed, but Dad insisted on sharing with neighbors - especially the older folks. Lesson learned.
We share with friends and family also. I can't imagine taking care of 144 tomatoes good lord!!
I'm thinking about trying vining my plants this year . Last year I caged as usual and the plants crushed the cages. I just have to get some poles set in the ground to run some cables.
My wife loves beets so we always have to plant those.i only like the greens, the beets themselves repulse me.
I did potatoes the first year here, planted 4 rows I think, about 100 yards each. The god damn raccoons went down and dug up the seed potatoes and ate them. Whatever they didn't get, the deer took care of as the plants grew. All that work and we got maybe a bushel of potatoes. Never again.

I don't think I've ever heard of gooseberry, what is it?
Just a native berry I found on my place this past summer. It was really good, so I'd like to try to punch up the output a little. I've got all kinds of open areas I've made that I could stick them in.

Just a native berry I found on my place this past summer. It was really good, so I'd like to try to punch up the output a little. I've got all kinds of open areas I've made that I could stick them in.
Is it a bush or shrub? I have Most of the raspberries ,black berries and strawberries, always looking to add more.